Acer palmatum 'Ruby Stars'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by arnaut, Jun 5, 2007.

1. arnaut

arnaut Active Member

Acer palmatum 'Ruby Stars'

Attached Files:

2. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Here is the spring color for 2012

Attached Files:

3. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Cute! This is a cultivar that's interested me for a little while... is it a nice one to have? How easy does it keep? Anything that sets it apart from the many other smaller red-leaved maples?

4. amazingmaples

i really like the tree although Beni Hoshi is very close if not near impossible to tell any difference but when I have them side by side i can see differences in the colors during the summer. In spring, I am not sure if there is a difference in color. The growth structure of both trees is different than most of the other red dwarfs.

5. amazingmaples

Here is my new Ruby Stars. Based on the Beni hoshi in my garden they have completely different color but then again they are in two different locations.

Attached Files:

• rs 1.jpg
      rs 1.jpg
      File size:
      255.3 KB
      Views:
    • rs 2.jpg
      rs 2.jpg
      File size:
      298.6 KB
      Views:
    • rs 3.jpg
      rs 3.jpg
      File size:
      295.7 KB
      Views:
  6. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I love my ruby stars. Here is a picture of the foliage.
    124591-5e7b06777faae2647c2aeeed34f75b45.jpg

I was at a nursery yesterday and this variety stood out among pixie, rhode island red, and shaina; which were all in 7g containers. Many times they all get lumped into the same category but they are all different when you see them together.

Here is my little ruby stars in a very tall pot. It has been in the same spot for 3 seasons and no winter die back even though it is exposed to winter winds and temps near 0F
    124595-f67a0df67095ae2dace0abb2749edf46.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  7. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

This one was bought for our Ruby wedding anniversary, as I'm sure a lot are. Two years on it is doing very nicely. We both just love the colours and how petit it is.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

What a difference 4 weeks makes. My Ruby Stars today is transformed to a near solid green. This is useful to see for people wishing to have this cultivar and thinking it will stay ruby red all Summer. It doesn't !!!

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

My Ruby stars two weeks ago was basically green all over, but today 9th August 2020 it has a little of the ruby red this cultivar is so well known for.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

August 15th 2020, the photo diary continues as promissed. Everything apart from just a few have held up very well. The heavy rain over the past couple of days has helped a lot. I think we will get a reasonable Autumn show this year fingers crossed.
    The start of new growth a week ago and now my Ruby Stars today is performing yet again.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

26th August 2020, the day after a very strong storm. (Francis). An update as requested. So many amazing colours now.
    The new growth I was asked about yesterday, well here it is, still going well.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

August 29th 2020 and Autumn colours are very fast approaching. It even feels like we are in October today rather than August. 7° C at the moment.
    Even more new growth on my Ruby Stars, so very colourful, but seems so very fragile!!

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

Well its the beginning of September 2020 and the dew is appearing on the leaves. Together with the fast changing colours, it's that time of year of joy in the maple garden.
    Just a few days ago, Ruby Stars was basking in some warm sun, but now a little bite in the early morning and some mist to sprinkle some joy in my Autumnal looking garden.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

12th September 2020 and believe it or not, new growth is everywhere in my garden together with Autumn colours emerging. Temperatures of 31°C expected in a couple of days.
    Ruby stars showing itself as it's name suggests.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

16th September 2020 and new growth is everywhere, due to this unseasonably warm weather.
    My favourite in the garden today. Just looking so pretty.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

25th September 2020 and some colours are more subtle than others. But that is the beauty of maples they are all so different and often the same tree is different year on year. This is why they are loved the world over.
    My Ruby Stars is showing the signs of a struggle with the new growth as I expected at this time of the year. But that's OK.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

29th September 2020 and still new growth appears. Pretty but so much dead wood is going to be trimmed back because of this late show.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

9th October 2020 and I was trying to concentrate on the dark leaves of Autumn, but once again some late new growth got in the shot.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

20th April 2021 and my wife and I special maple to celebrate our Ruby wedding (40) a few years ago, our Ruby Stars is just getting started.
    Ruby Stars 197.JPG

20. Acerholic

4th May 2021 and it's taken a while, but here this morning my Ruby Stars has opened up to the early sunshine
    Ruby stars 217.JPG .

21. Acerholic

13th May 2021 and my Ruby Star is showing why it is called this.
    Ruby Star 224.JPG

22. Acerholic

20th May 2021 and I wanted to show how the leaf structure changes on Ruby Stars as they age.
    Beni Hoshi 233.JPG

23. Acerholic

4th June 2021 and I wanted to show that sometimes the bugs get the better of me in my garden. It is important to see on the forum IMO.
    Ruby stars 251.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  24. Acerholic

30th June 2021 and my Ruby Stars is in transition phase now. I do enjoy this with the greens showing the stars.
    Ruby stars 287.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  25. Acerholic

10th April 2022 and this is my pot grown Ruby Stars that has started to leaf out before my garden tree.
    Ruby stars April 2022.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.