Acer palmatum 'Red Wine'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Acerholic, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I purchased this today (1st Sept 2020) at my local nursery, Acer palmatum 'Red Wine'. Nobody has shown this yet, so thought I would start a thread.
    I will update as to how it goes over the coming years. Might go straight into the ground this Autumn, as it is a decent size.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

September 3rd 2020 and Autumn is very quickly upon us now. But new growth!!? Yes there is !!
    Such a dark cloudy day today, that any colours are very welcome.
    I said I would show regular updates on my new Red Wine and after a good spray of fungicide and some watering( rain water), here it is after two days.
    Think I'm going to be very pleased with this one.

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

10th September 2020 and my maples are now racing into Autumnal colours. So warm and sunny at the moment, it does seem a bit strange though.
    As this is a new one in my garden, I am trying to keep the transition diary going. Still very pleased !!!

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

A lot of PM's last night asking about many of my cultivars, so here this morning, 11th September 2020 is my Red Wine. And what a difference a day makes at this time of the year !!!

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

15th September 2020 and half way through the month already, but it is hot again, 30°C yesterday and expected hotter today.
    But as is so often at this time of the year, the morning dew is here again, making trees look pretty.
    Two photos of my Red wine as it deserved it IMO.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

20th September 2020 and new growth plus some strange colouring on my maples now. Only 5 days on, but I was asked how my Red Wine was doing. Still very pretty IMO.

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

26th September 2020 when all around is doom and gloom, some maples are still showing new growth however cold it is. And yet more shoots on my Red Wine.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

October 6th 2020 and very wet, but with early morning sunshine it is making my maples look rather pretty IMO. This is a success story in my collection this year. I am so very pleased with my Red Wine.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

15th October 2020 and probably my best purchase of the last couple of years is my Red Wine. It is hardy and gives out so much colour. This one will stay in my garden.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

30th October 2020 and my garden is not far away from being submerged due to all tbe Autumn rain. But the raindrops do make the leaves look extra pretty IMO.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

3rd November 2020 and this wonderful cultivar keeps on giving, when most in my garden have gone over.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

9th November 2020 and although damp and very overcast, I thought I would post my Red Wine showing a glaze from the conditions this morning.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

20th November 2020 and my Red wine that has given me so much pleasure in it's first season in my garden is about to go to sleep for the Winter. But I thought I would share the lovely leaves and stunning red petioles.

Attached Files:

14. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

acerp-redwine_210404a.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  15. Acerholic

This has been the most enjoyed of my new maples in 2020 and seeing yours this evening has brought back the memories. Now I cannot wait till mine open. But perhaps a little after the last frost, Lol.

16. Acerholic

10th April 2021 and what I hope is going to be another fantastic year for this cultivar, my 'Red Wine'. If I had room there would definitely be more of these around my garden.
    Red wine 184.JPG

17. Acerholic

29th April 2021 and now my Red Wine shows why it is called this. Don't think there can be any doubt tbh.
    Red wine 197.JPG

18. Acerholic

15th May 2021 and my Red Wine is going to give as much pleasure this year as in 2020. I do love this cultivar.
    Red wine 227.JPG

19. Acerholic

27th May 2021 and my Red Wine is now so colourful in my garden, I just had to add two photos to share here.
    Red Wine 242.JPG Red Wine 241.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  20. Acerholic

18th June 2021 and here is my Red Wine this morning just before the heavens opened.
    Red wine 271.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  21. Acerholic

30th June 2021 and two weeks of cold wet weather has meant that my Red Wine is colouring up beautifully in my garden.
    Red wine 287.JPG

22. Acerholic

6th July 2021 and after some bizarre weather the last week, I wanted to update the thread on how my Red Wine has coped.
    Red Wine 294.JPG

23. AlainK

acerp-redwine_210917a.jpg

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  24. AlainK

acerp-redwine_220404a.jpg

Xi-feng, maf and Acerholic like this.
  25. Acerholic