Acer palmatum 'Red Feather'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mendocinomaples, Aug 15, 2005.

1. mendocinomaples

mendocinomaples Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Acer palmatum 'Rila's Red'

Nice finely cut red dissectum. Seems to hold up better to the heat than Red Filigree Lace. This photo was taken in August. Past two weeks have been in the low 90's. (I know cool to some of you out there...but that is hot for this maple).

Attached Files:

2. redwingmaple

redwingmaple Member

Re: A. palmatum Rila's Red

Sometimes the oddest things happen. I had seen this maple for sale online, but no picture. Did a web search, still no pictures. And today my search ends. Looks like another one to add to the "need it" list. Thanks for the photo.
    Shannon

3. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Re: Acer palmatum 'Rila's Red'

Fall color photos: 11/10/05

This plant seems to have a little more red than Beni kumo-no-su throughout the growing season. I suspect is is very similar to Red Filigree Lace and Ruby Lace, but I do not have those to compare side-by-side.

MJH

Attached Files:

4. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

My label said "Rilas Red," but who knows what the real name is. Anyway, this photo was taken July 11, 2007, and hopefully it shows the wonderful summer colors of this plant. It's a difficult subject to photograph because the lobes are just tiny thin filaments, so it takes a steady hand with the camera, no breeze and a bit of luck. My tree is a tiny thing. I've had it for 4 years and while it's growing, it's doing so at a snail's pace.

Attached Files:

5. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

That's a pretty tree! Do you think that it is related to the Red Filigree and Red Spiderweb and Red Feather type varieties? It looks pretty similar to my newly-received Red Filigree lace--only it's leaves are about 4 inches long! They are huge. How big are your Rila's Red Leaves, mapledia?

David

6. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Nice pic Mapledia.

Those leaves are beautifully cut.

7. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Poetry to Burn,
    Thanks. I appreciate your comment. These itty-bitty lobes are really hard to photograph without having them look like lint. I will admit that I have a very hard time telling the difference between the extremely fine red dissectums. Clearly their difference are too subtle for me to grasp.

8. maf

maf Well-Known Member Maple Society

NJACER helpfully provided some information that 'Red Feather' is the correct name for this cultivar:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  9. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member

here are photos of both Red Feathers and Red Filigee lace. If I lost the tag, I would not be able to tell the difference. maybe in summer or fall I will find the difference. The photos are labeled as to the trees name.

Attached Files:

10. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi Charlie,

Do you keep your Red Filigree as well as Red Feathers in the shade or out in the full sun?. I had a Red Fil. a few yrs ago growing in a pot on my deck and recently just acquired a 2.5' tall Red Fea.
    I now plan to put them in the ground but my garden received full afternoon sun, will they survive?. Or I need to find a shady location for them.

Thanks, Steven

11. Acerholic

Acerholic Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society

This one is so difficult to photograph as it is so delicate, so please excuse my hand behind. Placed by a light coloured rock or stones would suit this cultivar.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

Well into Sumner now 24th July 2020 and my Red feather is showing the most beautiful scarlet reds. Even better after the rain last night.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

1st August 2020, has the extreme heat affected this maple !!? No, not at all !!! Still making lovely new growth in my garden.

Attached Files: