Acer palmatum 'Osakazuki'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I know you aren't trying to make me jealous but . . . here's my Osakazuki - now being referred to as 'Osakasulky'.

Acer 'Osakasulky'.JPG

stg, Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning Margot, don’t worry, I have many in my garden in the same state. It's a slow start here as well.

3. Acerholic

19th April 2022 and as promised tk @Xi-feng and @stg, a close up of the colours of my Osakazuki leaf a few minutes ago. As can be seen, a different area different colouring.
    Osakazuki Easter Monday 2022.JPG

stg, Xi-feng, D97x7 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Connor Sullivan

Connor Sullivan Well-Known Member

After a rough start with my Osakazuki, it seems to finally be in the right place for it's 2nd growing season in the ground.

I had a lot of branch dieback immediately on getting the tree (fall), drought damage I assume. The 1st season was just getting itself established in the ground and find what bud sites had survived.

I'm really hoping this takes off this year and in a few years really starts to shine, it's by far the only maple in my collection that needs to play catch up in branch form and health.

Attached Files:

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  5. Margot

It looks to be in a great spot to grow large. I would worry a little though about the forked trunk. After a mid-April snow here, many trees of all types have lost significant branches.

Connor Sullivan likes this.
  6. Acerholic

I think we will all be watching for the updates. Good luck Connor

7. Connor Sullivan

This is certainly a concern but luckily I'm located on the floor of the Willamette Valley and snow heavy snow is something that doesn't happen here a lot. Are there any preventative measures I could take in the meantime though?

8. Margot

You may find this thread from the UBC Forums 10 years ago helpful. Personally, I'd be reluctant at this stage to cut back or remove one of the 2 branches. If you don't have to worry too much about heavy snow, perhaps you can protect the tree by knocking off snow if and when it becomes a threat. I have to admit that none of trees in my garden that lost branches in the recent heavy snowfall were Japanese maples.

Japanese maple: two trunks or one?

Hopefully someone more experienced than I am with Japanese maples can weigh in on this.

9. Acerholic

Regarding two trunks or one, IMO it is mainly personal choice. There is no right or wrong way. But obviously as @Margot suggested, if you do get heavy Winter snow, then you will have remove any from the branches. But this should not be a problem on your decking area Connor.

10. Connor Sullivan

Thanks for everyones input, really appreciate you all so much! This forum is such a blessing. :)

I have decided to stake up one of the main forks on my Osakazuki, making it more of a "upright" as opposed to flopping over the fence.

I like the look already! hahaha.

Attached Files:

Xi-feng, AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  11. Connor Sullivan

Visited my dad's garden today and saw my Osakazuki I gifted him last year!

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

29th April 2022 and my old Osakazuki that was badly damaged a couple of years back is on it's way to a good year.
    Osakazuki April 29th 2022.JPG Osakazuki April 29th 2022 (2).JPG

13. Acerholic

21st May 2022 and my Osakazuki has transitioned to Summer colours already.
    It did enjoy the overnight showers.
    Osakazuki 21st May 2022.JPG

Xi-feng, AlainK and D97x7 like this.
  14. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Here's my big Osakazuki with a touch of colour at the tips.

20220528 Osakazuki-1.jpg 20220528 Osakazuki-2.jpg

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  15. Xi-feng

Much more colour coming in now, some real reds on my medium-sized Osakazuki!

20220602 Osakazuki-1.jpg

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  16. Acerholic

Mine is turning as well Xi. Very early this year. But those colours, I'm not complaining. Lol

Xi-feng likes this.
  17. Xi-feng

I know I take a lot of photos of my Osakazuki, but I can't help it. From the changing colours to the leaf shape, I love everything about this tree. It also mingles beautifully with the neighbouring Ornatum, giving this awesome contrast of colours and textures in the same space:

20220604 Osakazuki, Ornatum.jpg

Atsoh, Romain01, D97x7 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Acerholic

Osakazuki with a tease of Ornatum. You are so artistic Xi. Lovely placement.

Xi-feng likes this.
  19. Xi-feng

Thought I'd add yesterday's pictures of my little Osakazuki here - lots of early colour-change this year, into some autumn colours already:

IMG_3180.jpg IMG_3182.jpg IMG_3183.jpg

Acerholic, Jake4 and D97x7 like this.
  20. Xi-feng

Funnily enough my big Osakazuki (in much more sun than the little one) is fully green, whereas the little one continues to turn towards autumn already. Here's the big one, and in the very left-hand background you can see the colour-difference vs the little one:

20220710 Osakazuki.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  21. Xi-feng

I love my Osakazukis but didn't have any plans to get another one... then I saw this one for a very cheap price at a garden centre and couldn't resist that interesting growth habit on one of my favorite cultivars! I'd love to encourage that sideways growth: once the trunk and branches thicken up, I think it could be a really interesting little thing:

20220813 Osakazuki-1.jpg

...And here's my big guy, doing so much better than it did at this time last year even when this year is so much more challenging. It's clearly gotten used to this spot in the garden and is loving it!

20220813 Osakazuki-2.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  22. Acerholic

What a good find Xi and your big one is looking wonderful, especially in these conditions. Should be a vivid scarlet in a couple of months.

Xi-feng likes this.
  23. Xi-feng

The vivid scarlet is here indeed! The little one is doing well and these are pictures of that one; my big one is tending towards browning and curling of leaves, so not a good display from that one this year. Still, with the little one putting out colour like this you can hardly complain:

20221008 Osakazuki-1.jpg 20221008 Osakazuki-2.jpg 20221008 Osakazuki-3.jpg 20221008 Osakazuki-4.jpg

LoverOfMaples and Acerholic like this.
  24. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Wasn't sure if there was going to be any fall color on this one.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
    Xi-feng, AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  25. Acerholic

30th October 2022 and my old Osakazuki has struggled this year. It's over 35 years old now and has not enjoyed the long drought at all. Hence a lot of crinkled reddish leaves this Autumn.
    Important to show though.
    Ozakazuki 30th October 2022.JPG