Acer Palmatum Oragange Dream - brown tipped leaves

Discussion in 'Maples' started by buddend, Jul 5, 2006.

1. buddend

buddend Member

I have a Acer Palmatum Oragange Dream which is recently planted in the garden and has started to get brown tips on the leaves. This started on a few leaves then has started to spread.

Does anyone know what might be causing this to happen.

Advise and help appreciated as I would hate to loose this lovley plant.

2. Galt

Galt Active Member

Orange Dream does not handle sun, heat (direct or reflected) drought or hot wind very well. I think that covers it. A recently planted tree is likely not prepared to adequately move moisture to the leaves in a hot situation, expecially with a more sensitive variety like Orange Dream.

It the soil dried out or if there is any salt build up in the soil due to its compostion or fertilizer, this can cause tip burn. It will most likely be a case of letting the tree settle in and acclimate. Very few maples look flawless the year they are planted. It if is not an afternoon shade or protected, you might consider moving it or providing some shade.

GALT

3. buddend

buddend Member

Thank you for these suggestions. Here in the UK we have had sveral weeks of hot weather and winds that may have caused this. The acer is surrounded By bamboo and a twisted willow that does provide some shelter for it. I will keep watering it and hope that it recovers.

4. Scion Swapper

Scion Swapper Active Member

BUDDEND,

I concurr with Galts suggestions. An additional possibility is that the tree was taken from a nice shaded greenhouse/location and exposed to direct sun. That can burn newly planted maples as well, even if they've been given ample water, etc. It should be ok, so long as it doesn't completely defoliate.

Scion Swapper

5. STi

STi Active Member

i'm a newbie but could you possibly be over watering it? i had a bloodgood that started browning tips and was due to over watering...eventually it died from root rot

6. buddend

buddend Member

Thank you for your reply. I bear this in mind but hope not.

7. graftedmaplecollector

graftedmaplecollector Active Member 10 Years

Soil must be moist but not wet...never standing water, ever.