Acer palmatum 'Matthew'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Scion Swapper, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Scion Swapper

Scion Swapper Active Member

Acer palmatum Matthew

This is a nice dwarf green Acer palmatum which originated from a witches broom. The tree pictured was given to our nursery as a gift from the founder of the cultivar, Billy Schwartz, of Green Mansion Nursery, Media, PA. I would guess the age of the tree to be around 7 years old, based on the branch structure. The tree puts on about 3 of growth a year.

One feature that impressed me about this cultivar is its ability to thrive in heat and full sun. During the late summer of 2005, after a month and a half of drought conditions in the mid-atlantic USA, this tree showed little to no signs of leaf burn or stress. It was actually during this time that the photograph was taken. It was the only tree in my landscape of 15 or so cultivars that didnt show leaf burn. Might be a good candidate for hot sunny locations in the landscape, or it could be useful in southern states.

Brian

Attached Files:

2. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Finally got my hands on a very nice one from Diana at Topiary Gardens. Hopefully this tree displays the sun/heat hardiness that I've read it has. Will introduce it to the Kansas sun slowly though, lol.

Attached Files:

3. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Absolutely fantastic maple for a hot, sunny spot - takes wind fairly well too. Last summer it was on the patio in full sun for nearly 8hrs - no joke in KS - and no leaf burn.

Attached Files: