Acer palmatum 'Matsugae'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Carl Bergstrom, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Carl Bergstrom

Carl Bergstrom Member

Acer palmatum 'matsugae'

A closeup of the leaves in early July.

Attached Files:

2. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

This is a nice specimen I planted for a friend this past spring, 2005. The tree is about 5ft tall with good structure, putting around 5 years old. Simiar to some other varieties, I recognize it by its slightly rounder leaf and red petioles, but it can be had to distinguish in photos from others like Kagiri nishiki, Butterfuly, Roseomarginatum, etc.

Attached Files:

• Mat1.JPG
      Mat1.JPG
      File size:
      81.8 KB
      Views:
    • Mat2.JPG
      Mat2.JPG
      File size:
      103.5 KB
      Views:
    • Mat3.JPG
      Mat3.JPG
      File size:
      151.1 KB
      Views:
  3. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

This plant grew on me. I bought a pair from Forest Farm. When i received i was surprised by the size. I kept them in a container. This is my 3rd year growing them. Matsugae has nice bark, an elegant shape and the blue green leaves with creamy margins are understated and distinctive. It's a choice, easy to grow cultivar. The plant pictured is in near full sun in Z7. Check out the trunk caliper (nickel for scale)! Both plants have easily doubled in size since received.

No samaras so far. And one rogue reverted branch that i have not yet loped off.

above photos 10/07

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2007
  4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Third Edition, Japanese Maples, Vertrees, Gregory, Timber Press says

"This cultivar is about halfway between 'Butterfly' and 'Kagiri nishiki'. The general appearance is similar to 'Kagiri nishiki', but close comparison of individual leaves shows minor differences. Also, there is a greater depth of color in 'Matsugae'*. It is a little more open and less twiggy than 'Butterfly'. 'Matsugae' grows up to 3-4 m tall. It is a hardy plant, can take full sun, and responds well to shaping. The name 'Matsugae' means "pine branch." This cultivar has also been known under the names 'Albo-marginatum', 'Argenteo-marginatum', and 'Fichtenast'."

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2007
  5. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

My Matsugae is about 8' tall, a dignified V-shaped tree, and I agree totally with RonB's comments, especially about the depth of color. The green is a deep hunter green with just a hint of blue/grey to it in the right circumstances, even though that trait doesn't show well in the accompanying photo. Very nice color and a handsome tree. This photo was taken July 11, 2007.

Attached Files:

6. Poetry to Burn

The pair I'm growing were treated to an intensive root pruning a few weeks back. Removed about 30% and returned to same container. Since these plants have been so robust I'm optimistic that the set back will be minimal. Will post pics as soon as they leaf out.

Update,May 10, 08: Sturdiest plants! Leafed out nicely, no die back. Most robust container maple I grow.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  7. Poetry to Burn

Tried to place photos in last post but it didn't take.

'Matsugae' after root pruning.

Attached Files:

8. Poetry to Burn

Am I the only cheerleader for 'Matsugae'. It does have it's charms

Attached Files:

9. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

It looks like a nice cultivar, but I don't have it yet. I do have 'Tennyo no hoshi', which looks similar and which I like a lot.

10. Poetry to Burn

K4,

The blue-green leaf color is alluring when you see the plant in person. 'Kara ori nishiki' is also similar but different in form. vigor and lacks the blueish-ness in my experience. Also 'Matsugae' is charming in autumn but doesn't rise to the spectacular for me.

I dont't grow 'Tennyo no hoshi'.

11. Poetry to Burn

'Matsugae' with just a few, very tiny samaras. I've never seen these before on this plant.

Attached Files:

12. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Spring colour is good, also like the blueish green base tone of the leaf and also leaves are often rather on a flat plane.

IMG_20210512_181936.jpg

IMG_20210512_181919.jpg

A few days later:

IMG_20210518_183621.jpg

Last edited: May 19, 2021
    Acerholic likes this.
  13. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

14. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Yes, the base colour is similar but I think the variegation is a little bit less showy. (I don't have one for comparison but have seen plenty of Beni schichihenge in the past). It is also similar to Kagiri nishiki and some maple books report it is a sport of that variety.

I am not a big fan of the "in your face" variegated types and much prefer the ones that are more restrained and Matsugae manages to be subtle enough that I always enjoy seeing it.