Acer palmatum 'Kashima'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by chimera, May 2, 2007.

1. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Also referred to as 'Chiba'.

Attached Files:

2. chimera

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  3. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Chimera,

I am posting some pics of my 'Kashima' to help identification. The first pic is end March 2007, the second end March 2008 and the third end April 2008. In the Summer is a solid green, and in the Fall I do not remember. Propagated by D. van der Maat.

Gomero

Attached Files:

4. chimera

Hi Gomero, thanks for posting the photos. your trees leaves also seem predominantly 5 lobed as are those in my photo. Can only think 'Kashima' and 'Kashima Yatsubusa' may be different trees after looking at the site previously posted and here http://www.e-momiji.com/~e-momiji/index.htm . Click on 4 caricature link directly below "Nippon No Momiji" to go to photo index. 'Kashima Yatsufusa' is pictured on page 4 of the photo index, second row down, and second from right, can click on the photo for a few more pics. Didn't find any references to straight 'Kashima' on either of the sites. In the photos it seems 'Kashima Yatsubusa' has generally more than 5 leaf lobes. Then there is 'Chiba' and 'Chiba Yatsubusa' {photo index page 2, 1st in 3rd row down }. Sometimes more than a little confusing these maples. Both pics are May/08 of 'Chiba' , the red leaf margins most noticeable and longer lasting on leaves receiving the least sun. Tree gets late afternoon shade. Confusion abounds.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  5. Gomero

Chimera,

In Yano's book 'Kashima yatsubusa' and 'Chiba yatsubusa' are synonyms. I checked Maillot’s website and he lists ‘Kashima’ and ‘Kashima yatsubusa’ as separate cultivars saying that the difference between the two is that the second is slightly more compact than the first.
    My guess is that they are completely undistinguishable and I will never buy a 'Kahima yatsubusa' already having a 'Kashima'.

It is unfortunate all of those hundreds of reputedly 'new cultivars' from Japan that have recently appeared and which all they do is to add confusion and discredit to the trade.

Gomero

6. chimera

Gomero, Yes, maybe I'll start more from seed. Believe the first link given is Mr. Yano's site. A wealth of information on the 2 sites if one understood Japanese, the English titles of the photos help a lot, and information may possibly be combined to help identify an unknown cultivar or possibly verification. Expecting there may be less confusion with the older Japanese introduced cultivars on the two websites. Chimera

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  7. ToddTheLorax

ToddTheLorax Active Member

This is a nice little plant for me. I bought it as a graft maybe 3 years ago and it is slowly starting to look like a little tree.

Attached Files:

8. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi,
    My Kashima is 11 years old now, thought you might enjoy seeing what it will look like down the road.
    Kay

Attached Files:

9. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Is this one also known by the name of 'Chiba' ??

10. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Todd,
    Just for a laugh, here's another picture of it today, Mar. 29.
    Kay

Attached Files:

11. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Sad, but that makes me feel so much better... I've been bemoaning my lack of leafed out trees, but at least I don't have snow on the ground!

12. Gomero

Kay,
    How pretty!!, I wish I had that over here; with all these maples leafed out it gets kind of boring ;o))

Otherwise here is my Kashima, grafted in 2006 by D. van der Maat. It is in a big pot in my terrace in full sun. Picture taken this March on the 23rd.

Gomero

Attached Files:

13. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

the fall color is my favorite but this spring yellow green is quite nice

Attached Files:

14. amazingmaples

here is the same tree in august when its fall color is starting to come out. this will be last year with this beauty

Attached Files:

15. amazingmaples

Here are a couple of my Kashima. The big one is a bit wild since I can walk under it.

Attached Files:

16. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

This is brand new in my garden, just a 2- or 3-year-old. Seems kind of blah, but we'll see how it does in future years. The photo is an extreme close up... the leaves are teeny tiny.

Attached Files:

17. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

I've been very happy with it this year, after two or three years of underwhelming growth and leaf color. It's new growth is gorgeous-- both in spring and in mid-summer. Photos are from May 2016 and August 2016.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

10th April 2023 and a new one for me this year. It's looking to be quite a cute looking leaf.
    PXL_20230409_094413592.jpg

19. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

18th May 2023 and ao much new colourful growth on my Kashima.
    PXL_20230518_102227187.jpg