Acer palmatum 'Happy Corallinum'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by amazingmaples, Apr 19, 2011.

1. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

here is a nice new addition, it has a nice lighter pink color. I found that on our grey days in the PNW, its color stood out more. It also seems to have a little better growing habit, not quite so twiggy.

Attached Files:

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Is it really called 'Happy Corallinum'? What's that all about?

Seriously, it won't be accepted as a legitimate cultivar name by the people who are registering the names for Acer cultivars. First, it uses Latin in the cultivar name and second, it uses more than one language in the same name.

(P.S. not directed at the poster of the pictures, but at whoever named it.)

3. amazingmaples

maf

as you know I did not name the tree but as the tree goes it is a very nice tree which is different from other trees in the corallinum family. I am not fimilar with the rule of how someone names a tree As it goes, the tree is available in a few places.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  4. maf

See here for a description of the rules and recommendations for naming cultivated plants: http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showpost.php?p=220022&postcount=9. (Thanks to Gomero for posting.) These guidelines have also been published in the Maple Society newsletter.

There is nothing to stop anyone naming a maple in contravention to these guidelines, it is not an inictable offense. The problem is that if they want their name to be universally accepted worldwide they need to follow the guidelines. I can't speak for the guys at Westonbirt who are compiling the list of maple cultivars, but I would imagine they only publish new names that conform to the "rules".

Back to 'Happy Corallinum', it sure looks a like it might be a nice tree, even if the name does not make sense.

5. amazingmaples

maf

I guess they did not care to have another tree on the list.

The name works for me since it seems to be happier than any corallinum I have bought.

It is better than someone putting their own name on the tree which is probably ok by the rules.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  6. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

(originally a question about a comment that has been deleted)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  7. maf

This subject is also discussed in "Japanese Maples", Vertrees/Gregory. In the 4th edition see pages 35-36: "The Naming of Cultivars" and page 70: "Registering New Cultivars".

8. amazingmaples

You may not like the name but the tree does have one of best soft red/pink colors. In the two years, i have had the tree, I have not had dead wood on it, this is plus compared to other similar trees.

Attached Files:

9. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

Less twiggy growth and less dead wood are major improvements. Maybe the name should be Shin corallinum :)

I've never seen this one in a catalog. Where did you get it?

10. amazingmaples

I bought it from my main supplier. I also looked on the interenet and found two different retailers who had it on their lists. I am not sure if they have it for sale.
    The funny part about the name is, it will sell much easier than otome zakura and that is important in my world. The average buyer could care less about the name of the tree is so long as they can pronounce it and like the looks. Most of them forget the name of the tree two days after they plant it.