Acer palmatum 'Goshiki shidare'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Gomero, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

This one is a variegated dissectum. Leaves are brown-red, cream and white variegated. It has been a late starter and looks somewhat fragile.

Gomero

Attached Files:

2. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

The photos below show the different characteristics of ‘Goshiki shidare’ when grown in mostly shade versus sun. These two plants were both purchased around 1996 form the same source. The first photo showing mostly green with white and pink is planted in shade. The next photos show the coloration of the cultivar in sun.

Ed

Attached Files:

3. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Ed,
    Interesting what you say, conventional wisdom calls for variegated to be protected from the sun. Mine is in heavy shade but, after reading your post, I am going to move it to a sunnier position. I checked it out and it is still variegated as shown in the pic taken last week.

Gomero

Attached Files:

4. NJACER

Gomero.

I started out with the two of these plants in shade. They exhibited variegation of white, pink and green to different degrees for years. One of the plants was in a pot and I eventually moved it into a sunnier position and discovered the difference in color so I planted it in the ground in the current spot. The location is southern exposure with a few taller trees providing some dappled shade but mostly sun exposure. I am in zone 7B at the shore in New Jersey so we do not get that much intense heat and have typically milder winters because of our proximity to the cost. I have included another picture that shows the cultivar in with the plants that provide the dappled shade.

Ed

Attached Files:

5. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Ed,

Any chance for a close up leaf shot of both plants and description of fall colors. I find the duplicity very interesting and hope you wouldn't mind sharing a bit more if you have photos around.

I think you are showing some fall color of the more red plant in the last post but I cannot make it out.

Thanks,

6. NJACER

MJH,

I have taken a few close up shots this morning on the trees and have attached for your viewing. The original photos are about 1.5MB and allow you to zoom in and still retain the clarity of the picture. Once I compress the picture down to a reasonable size to post you loose that detail. I have been having some fun with my new camera taking pictures of my plants abut have found that I can not get real close to the subject shot. I plan on purchasing a macro lens this summer and adding more detailed shots of the leaves to my photos.

I should have been more clear on the fall photo and posted to show the size of the companion plantings that provide the dappled shade. The Goshiki shidare is the small orange colored plant on the bottom left closest to the grey pot. The fall colors are yellow and orange do not stand out as much as other surrounding trees. I have included some additional fall shots but do not have a close up of this cultivars fall color by itself.

Ed

Attached Files:

7. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

I've been so pleased with the performance of this cultivar which resides in bright but filtered light under a canopy of madrones. This photo was taken last fall on October 18, 2006 as the late afternoon light was illuminating the tree from low in the sky. Goshiki Shidare almost seemed to glow even from a long distance away, and the total effect was breathtaking. I have better photos, but they are over 4 megapixels.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

The varigation on my Acer palmatum ' Goshiki Shidare ' shows why it is one of my favourite dissectum's. Three photos with second flush in June 2020.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

A lot of talk this year 2020 about the fast changes in the colouring of our maples and Goshiki Shidare is no exception. This photo and close up on the 8th July shows that fast changing taking place.

Attached Files:

GreenLarry likes this.
  10. Acerholic

New growth with all it's delight is so wonderful in Summer,when a lot of trees no longer have the fresh greens that they had in Spring. My Goshiki Shidare is bucking the trend IMO.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

Here is a super close up of the leaves of this one on the 22nd July 2020.
    Taking full sun rather well IMO.

Attached Files:

GreenLarry likes this.
  12. Acerholic

Almost flattened by the overnight rain, but those colours keep giving and giving. 24th July 2020.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

August 3rd 2020, the greens are disappearing fast now. Just a hint left.
    Another dissectum that loves the sun in my garden.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

August 6th 2020 and extreme heat is forecast over the next few days, so I thought I would post photos of my dissectums before and after to show how they cope. This I feel can be useful for people considering buying a particular variety.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

15th August 2020, lots of rain at last, the leaves have freshend up so quickly. My misting I carry out in the evenings in hot weather was of no use this year when temperatures were in the mid 30 C 's for many many days. It just evaporated so quickly.
    My Goshiki Shidare has been flattened quite a bit by the heavy rain, rather difficult to photograph, but wet knees apart I got there, this multi coloured maple deserved soggy trousers.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

20th August 2020 and after days of rain after a heatwave, everything is picking up again. Severe storms coming tomorrow, so I hope I can batten down the hatches so to speak and protect my trees.
    What a difference in the sunshine, a favourite of mine today.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

Well it's the last day of August 2020 and as we have had a lot of rain and cooler weather here in England over the past two weeks, all my maples are doing well for the time of year.
    Different angles diffent perspectives of my Goshiki Shidare.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

Well its the beginning of September 2020 and the dew is appearing on the leaves. Together with the fast changing colours, it's that time of year of joy in the maple garden.
    Now does this look Autumnal !!? My Goshiki Shidare just hanging with the weight of the dew.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

9th September 2020 and new growth springing up everywhere. It so warm and today at 0800hrs it was 18°C.
    So many peoples favourite dissectum. Goshiki Shidare out performs so many others in the dissected varieties.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

16th September 2020 and new growth is everywhere, due to this unseasonably warm weather.
    Today my Goshiki Shidare looks like someone has crumpled it up and released it. Very strange !!

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

23rd September 2020 and the first full day of Autumn. We have lots of rain so the dissectums come into their own IMO.
    Goshiki Shidare has a myriad of colours that the raindrops bring to the fore.

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

7th October 2020 and my maples are either turning to Autumn colours, or have new Spring like growth or the leaves are just ready to drop. Such a strange year.
    I took this photo of a down beaten branch from all the heavy rain we have just had. It still, looked lovely IMO.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

17th October 2020 and my low spreading Goshiki Shidare has a multiple of colours now.

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

20th October 2020 and everything is moving along now. Colours emerging every day. Goshiki Shidare is one that enjoys some sunshine..

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

31st October 2020 and even though my Goshiki Shidare is a ground hugger, amongst the bark mulchand heavy rain, I thought it looked rather pretty this morning

Attached Files: