Acer palmatum 'Fireglow'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by CHR, Apr 30, 2004.

1. CHR

CHR Member

Here is a truly bright red acer palmatum that hold its color better than most in full sun.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  2. MtnGato

MtnGato Active Member

I have two Fireglows: the one in the picture is in half sun; the other gets occasional dappled sun and is almost entirely green! I'm going to move it to a sunnier spot to let it live up to its beautiful potential.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  3. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

A.p. 'Fireglow' grown potted in north-facing shade. Picture of old growth August '04. Specimen purchased from a local nursury and thought to be cultivated by Stanley & Sons.
    Flash used in photos; contrasting leaf shot with Acer sieboldianum 'Sode no uchi'

Attached Files:

4. johnmkirchner

johnmkirchner Member

Here is a pic of one of my Fireglow trees. The grower said it was about 5 years old. It was put in the ground this year and the different shades of red look really nice right now. I just got a new camera and I am working on getting the settings correct for these trees.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  5. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Check out my newest acquisition from Charlie at Amazing Maples. I can't wait to see it leaf out! Measuring with my ruler (highly inaccurate, I know) I'm seeing about an eight inch caliper. Interestingly, the tree is about as wide as it is tall. The first two photos are of the tree being removed from its previous location. The third is its new spot in my yard next to my neighbor's house (which I'll no longer see in during the growing season - now if the evegreens will just fill in behind I'll be set). I'll post more photos after leaf out.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
    Acerholic likes this.
  6. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Nice photos Joyce, I have proof of all of my crazy adventures, then again you had the fun of planting your huge 'Fireglow'. I thought I would add a photo of the new 'Fireglow' which I picked up this year. Nothing near the size of yours but it is still pretty darn big.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  7. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I thinks its time Joyce posted a picture of her tree in its summer finery, don't you Charlie? We need to see the rest of the story! Fireglow is one of my favorites..

8. amazingmaples

I would love to see photos of the tree, it was one of the bigger trees I have worked at digging up. I am still thrilled Joyce got the tree, I still do not know where I would have put it in my overfilled yard. Fireglow is a great tree.

9. winterhaven

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Fireglow. I'm aghast that I haven't taken any pictures of anything since spring. So the camera is charging and since I have a day off tomorrow I will take pictures. It's still light outside but the shadows are all in the wrong places to shoot.

10. winterhaven

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
    Acerholic likes this.
  11. Kaitain4

I know exactly where that is! I love it, and its perfect for that site. Looks like its been there 15 or 20 years!

12. winterhaven

Thanks! I love that I instantly screened most of the neighbor's porch. It's just tall enough I don't see their house and just short enough they still have a water view. You should see the look on people's faces when I tell them it was my Christmas present from the hubby and that its only been there a few months. Snicker, snicker.

So far, it's thriving. But I monitor it carefully to make sure it doesn't run out of water. We got so much rain early in the year that I didn't need to water anything. Actually, at one time a few leaves started to lift into curl position, but then settled down. And now that it's hot I've entered that worrisome mode of, "Did I give it enough, did I give it too much."

13. Kaitain4

First year is always a nail-biter. We're having unbelievably hot weather this summer, yet carzy me just planted a new bed with about 8 maples in it!! My theory at this point is to drown them for the first month, then back off a little. So far no wilting, but a little sun scorch here and there. The green dissectums seem to be impervious to this hot sun. Not a bit of scorch. Whereas the red leaved ones have little brown tips.

My favorite that I planted out is Ven's Red (from Diana). Love the look. By the way, its a lime green leaf! LOL!

I've created 4 more beds, which I will be planting in the coming weeks. I put in sprinklers, so I should be OK water-wise. Maples transplant amazingly well, as your HUGE Fireglow so amply demonstrates!! I want to hug it!!

14. winterhaven

You're braver than me! I went a little crazy last year planting even late summer, but told myself I wouldn't do it again. Too nerve wracking! But I must admit I'm getting itchy fingers.

I have a hold dug in the ground just waiting for me to have enough time to visit Charlie. And then for the fall I have a bunch of swaps lined up and the waiting is killing me.

Me, too. LOL.

I find myself pouting because, since it's planted uphill of my yard, it's too tall for me to get above the leaves for pictures. And I really want to clean out enough of the ferns in front of it that I could see the trunk. For me, the trunk flare of a big tree can be the most exciting part.

15. amazingmaples

If only I could keep all of the trees. It is funny to see these big trees on the computer, they just do not look as big as what they are in real life. In someways I think smaller tees in life look bigger on the computer. Joyce, your Fireglow looks great. This year will test it but it does have a pretty large rootball. Keep the water on it, that is one of the bigger Fireglows.

16. winterhaven

I agree, you need something in the shot to give perspective. Here's a pic I snapped this morning while the boys were in the yard. Too bad it's so dark, but it does help portray the size of the tree, especially when you realize they're each over six feet tall!

Thanks, will do.

Attached Files:

17. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

my Fire Glow in autunm 2010 this maple is 12 years old

Attached Files:

18. amazingmaples

Fireglow is a very popular basic red upright maples. It has a nice wide canopy along with a good height without being too tall.

Attached Files:

19. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

is one best selection by Giordano Gilardelli the Italian nurseryman that selection many jm like Orange dream,s.Jordan,Summer Gold,Stella rossa,and another...in one interview Giordano said: i grown with maples milk ...:)

20. amazingmaples

I can take a lot of photos of Fireglow and still feel like I could take more. It is a very nice tree.

I added a photo of one of my other fireglow which has started to change into fall colors

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  21. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

My Fireglow was planted in the fall, as a 3-year plant, right before the Polar Vortex winter. I thought for sure it wouldn't make it, especially since I'm 5b/6a, but every single bud came in this spring. It's my favorite red upright. Such bright color, even in pure shade! I also love the shape and size of the leaves-- I wish this one was available locally in larger sizes. Almost everything that's red and upright here is an Emperor 1 or Bloodgood. I have two Emperor 1, and this Fireglow is so much prettier.

I love this JM!

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  22. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

Late spring color against cinnamon ferns-- another gorgeous spring with Fireglow. This tree is fantastic.

...zero photo manipulation, by the way. The red is that bright right now.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  23. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

22nd November 2020 and my friends Fireglow is still performing well. This tree is only 8 years old but has settled very well. It gets morning sun until 1pm, then full shade for the rest of the day.
    This is one of the very latest to drop it's leaves that I know of. A wonderful cultivar for anyone who wants a lovely ameonum group red maple.

Attached Files:

GardenCycles likes this.
  24. Karl Villareal

Karl Villareal Active Member

My Fireglow in spring
    upload_2023-10-25_16-43-20.png

Acerholic likes this.