Acer palmatum 'Elmwood'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by yweride, Sep 15, 2005.

1. yweride

yweride Active Member 10 Years

Photos taken 8/15/05

Attached Files:

2. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

This plant is also being sold as Elmwoodie--I hope that this is the wrong spelling.

MJH

3. spookiejenkins

spookiejenkins Active Member

Does anyone have any updated information about, or photos of this cultivar?

Is it known by any other name?

I would sincerely appreciate any information. There sure isn't much available on the web (or in my books!).

Thanks!

4. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I just bought one of these trees, a 2 year old graft, and there is indeed little information about it in the trade. I have no idea how big it will actually become! For now, I'm assuming it will be similar to A.p. 'Peaches and Cream' or the "Ghost" series. I'm keeping mine in the dappled shade of my patio, which is overshadowed by huge oaks. It gets perhaps an hour of direct sun in the morning, and another 45 minutes or so in the early afternoon. It seems extremely happy with that arrangement, and the leaves have kept their markings well.

The leaves are a medium to deep green and reticulated, far darker than say, A.p. 'Shigitatsu sawa'. They also have a somewhat lacquered (shiny) appearance, which is unusual but very appealing. The trunk, twigs and bark are a light green; leaf stems are a coral red. The leaf tips have a hint of red in them, as well as the reticulation in the leaves. This effect is more pronounced in young leaves, and almost disappears as the leaves age. I've attempted a few photos (see attached). Forgive my amateur photography skills!

K4

Attached Files:

5. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Nice K4,

Did you find that locally?

6. Kaitain4

No, I got it from World Plants, actually.

www.worldplants.com

I really like this company. They have a nice selection, and their grafts look good. My first order was perfect, and the plants were boxed well and shipped priority. Unfortunately they had a massive grafting failure this year, but I managed to get 1/2 my order. They actually sent me a larger, older A.p. 'Elm Wood', probably because of the failed grafts. It was just $20.00. Their web site says they still have A.p. 'Elm Wood' in stock.

On another note - my tree looks quite different than the tree shown in the first post. That one does not seem to have the shiny leaves I see in mine. From the various descriptions I've read and other photos I've seen, I believe mine is the correct cultivar.

K4

7. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Yes I've had positive experiences with WP too.

As you mention,the plants in the thread pics look a little different. The difference in serration caught my eye.

8. Kaitain4

Here's a description from another nursery. At least it gives the size.

"Subtle pink, white and green variegation in spring becomes two tone green in the summer with gold and orange in the fall. Large deeply divided leaves hang from pendulous branches with movement in the wind. Easy to grow, somewhat vigorous."

Landscape Height - 10'

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  9. Kaitain4

This has got to be my favorite reticulated variety!! Just stunning! Its MUCH different (and nicer, IMHO) than the plant in the first post of this thread. They really don't look to be the same.

Attached Files:

10. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

That is too cool looking for words. Love it!

11. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

I am always more impressed on the second year's growth under my supervision of a reticulate than the first, that one reminds me of Will's devine.

12. Galt

Galt Active Member

Matt,

I thought the same thing this year. I have had a large Will's Devine or Will D for 3 or 4 years now and and Elmwood that is finally getting a little size on it (as well as a few grafts from it) and this year they could be the same plant. It would seem one or the other would do, but I share the sentiment that the mid-spring coloration on this maple is one of my favorites. The reticulation and depth of color and contrast fade pretty quickly.

13. nelran

nelran Active Member

Here are some pics of my little 'Elmwood' in early spring 2010. Leaves are still young and tender, but is nice.

Attached Files:

14. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

here are photos of my Elmwood, I show it from the north side and from the south side since the tree is in full sun

Attached Files:

15. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

This is a lovely variegated dwarf maple. One of my new favorites. It gets morning sun and afternoon shade. Sam

Attached Files:

16. amazingmaples

Here are the fall colors for 2011, this one has been in full sun

Attached Files:

17. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Very nice Charlie

18. amazingmaples

Thanks, My 6 foot tal one is just starting to change colors, it seems to be a bit more orange in color but I have found a lot of my trees have been more on the red side. I have also found that the color can change in one or two days and if I am not on it I will miss getting a photo. I did so with my Kinran, it was unreal orange this year but in two day it went brown. My grandma ghost have some great orange color this year.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  19. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

9th October 2020 and here is my new Acer palmatum 'Elmwood'. Not anything to look at at the moment, I agree, but the buds tell me it's going to look lovely next year.
    So the reason for posting it today is to carry out a photo diary for members to watch over the next few years.

Attached Files:

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  20. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

You will love it!! Where did you do your last ‘shop’?

21. Acerholic

@Luke’s Maples good afternoon Luke, nice to hear from you. I got this from Stephen Rolph on E bay. I've had maples from him before and all have done well.
    Am expecting great things from Elmwood after seeing yours.

22. Acerholic

30th April 2021 and my friend Luke said a few months back that I would love this cultivar and he was right. So here it is at the start of my first full year with this amazing tree.
    Elmwood 208.JPG

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  23. Luke’s Maples

Mine hasn’t even started to leaf out yet. Your Elmwood and my Kamagata are at opposite ends of the spectrum lol

24. Acerholic

Yes isn't that strange, did you watch Charlie's latest video Luke ? He said this has been the worst Spring for years. So it is happening everywhere.

25. Luke’s Maples

No I haven’t been keeping up to date with Charlie or Mr Maple actually. Might have binge watch a couple tonight