Acer palmatum 'Burgundy Lace'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Laurie, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Acer palmatum 'Burgundy Lace' - private collection. Photographs taken when the containerized tree was placed in various locations: June 2002; October 2005; July 2001; August 2001; and three more from October 2005. The color of the leaves of this lovely cultivar of weeping character is dependent on location, i.e. the amount of sun or shade it gets, more than any other of the several cultivars I have seen in my humble experience.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2006
  2. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I love the colors on Burgundy Lace in the spring. For a short time is seems to have a rose-pink overtone. Always flowering profusey, this great little plant is a standout. While still small, I look forward to it every spring.

Attached Files:

3. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Because of its propensity to burn in full direct sunlight, my Burgundy Lace is situated in bright filtered light where it's doing very well. This photo was taken May 4, 2007 in southern Oregon.

Attached Files:

4. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

This was a new tree for me last year
    It is progressing well
    Burgundy Lace

5. rwinktown

rwinktown Active Member

Bought this guy this winter cant wait for it it to open up! its getting close couldn't believe it was 80 percent off! ill post pics in approx a month cant wait!

6. rwinktown

rwinktown Active Member

close up pick as of 7-13-2011, it is placed in full sun and is doing outstanding with no burn, cant wait to see how it fills in over the next few years.

Attached Files:

7. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

I'm amazed that you have yours in full sun in Seattle because I've been told by several nurserymen that this JM will burn if in full sunlight. Mine is in bright filtered light and is doing just great for several years now. Please let us know how your Burgundy Lace does over time.

8. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

I was at the Japanese Garden in Seattle and saw a couple Ap 'Burgunday Lace' planted to to each other. I would say they were a good 20 to 25' tall, maybe taller.

Attached Files:

• 029.jpg
      029.jpg
      File size:
      219.1 KB
      Views:
    • 028.jpg
      028.jpg
      File size:
      272.1 KB
      Views:
    momijichan likes this.
  9. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

In reply to rwinktown who was interested in how his "Burgundy lace" may turn out like in a few years here is a picture of my very 1st Acer tree bought as a medium sized three trunked plant at around three feet from our local garden centre.
    We bought this when my dad died and planted it in his memory in 2004 and after years of manipulating the branches i have acheived a lovely flowing affect and it now stands at over seven foot in height and looks stunning and is the centre attraction in the garden,will stand full sun and never suffers from leaf scorch!!
    Have planted a very nice Orange dream close to it and in the spring they look super with the two different colour contrasts, and i also have a large sixty foot leylandi hedging to add as a back drop to make the colours stand out more.
    This cultivar seems to be a quick grower and takes to shaping very well and i hope yours grows just as good as mine.

Attached Files:

10. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Here is a picture of 'Burgundy Lace' planted in 1931. The tree is growing unprotected in full sun in Kirtland, OH.

Attached Files:

11. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Small but pretty:

20211023 Burgundy Lace.jpg

AlainK and D97x7 like this.