acer japonicums 'Ed Wood' & 'Wood's 2'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by katsura, Sep 18, 2008.

1. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

Are these the same cultivars?
    Stanley&Sons web page says 'Wood's 2' was found in
    the collection of Ed Wood of Aurora, Oregon.
    Thanks.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Are these really A. japonicum or instead actually A. palmatum?

3. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

they are labelled 'japonicum' and their leaves are like other japonicums I have

4. prairiestyle

prairiestyle Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

They are two different cultivars. Diana at Topiary Gardens has both types and described them thus: "Wood's #2 seems to have a rounder leaf and bigger. Ed Woods is not as round and has a longer center lobe."

5. timnichols

timnichols Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

There is a plant at Sarah P. Duke Gardens at Duke University labeled Acer Japonicum "Wood's #2 Seedling" that doesn't match this description at all. Even though it is labeled as a japonicum, it appears to be a palmatum.It is a linearilobum that leafs out red then fades to green. I have also found a description that matches the plant at Duke Gardens at the following website: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/189660/ . Every other source I have found does not match this description. My guess is that Duke's tree is mislabeled which caused someone at davesgarden to write an inaccurate description. I will post photos of Wood's #2 at Duke this spring when the tree leafs out. Is anyone else familiar with this tree. What are your thoughts?

6. timnichols

timnichols Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Just thought I'd note that I have found the linearlilobum I described above at a few nurseries in the Southeastern United States listed now as Acer palmatum 'Wood's Linearilobum Selection'.

7. Daniel Otis

Daniel Otis Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I don't have 'Ed Wood,' but I recall that it is different from 'Wood's #2."

Maybe that's why it's 'Wood's #2'--perhaps 'Ed Wood' is Wood's number 1? Just guessing.

I do have 'Wood's #2,' for quite a few years now. My plant is definitely a japonicum and could never be confused with a palmatum cultivar. It has enormous leaves, which is it's distinguishing characteristic. I just went outside and measured one of the larger leaves--7 1/2" wide, 8" long (from the point where the petiole joins the leaf blade to the tip of the longest lobe). Most leaves are a bit smaller. It's growing right next to a 'Vitifolium,' and the leaves of 'Wood's' are definitely larger. There's another difference in leaf surface texture that is quite obvious but a little difficult to describe. The leaf blade of 'Vitifolium,' between the sets of major veins, is smooth and flat. 'Wood's #2' is more reticulated or quilted-looking, and also a darker green.

Seems like a good sturdy plant, but it has the look of a plant that would prefer a sheltered location--wind and strong sun might wreak havoc. Mine I grow in a big pot because I don't have room for another big maple in the ground. Maybe understory at the edge of the woods, with sun on one side, would be a good place.

Not sure where I got it--possibly Diana at Topiary, or Forestfarm .

Dan

8. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I have both. Definitely a difference in the plants.

A.j. 'Ed Woods' on the left; A.j. 'Woods #2' on the right.

Attached Files: