Acer Fremanii 'Autumn Blaze'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by TRADERJMF, Jul 15, 2007.

1. TRADERJMF

TRADERJMF Member

I bought and planted two of these Acer Fremanii 'Autumn Blaze' Maples in mid-March 2007, here in Northern CA. They are planted in the same vicinity but are displaying very different growth patterns. They were both planted at the same time, looked the same when planted, and have a single Miracle Grow tree stake inserted 1' away from root ball. Both were about 12' tall at planting, but one is now significantly "bigger" due to substantial new branch growth.

The tree in the grass is the "bigger" one - which has really taken off, but is noticeably different in color. Its a crimson-red color (except for some of the growth at the top). This tree is planted in an area that was grass, so it does have some topsoil mixed in with the native soil with mulch on top. Also, this tree gets LOTS of water, as the grass is often wet/soggy on top.

The other tree is much slower growing, has limited growth and is green (crimson leaves only as new growth, quickly turning green). This tree is planted in native soil with mulch on top. It is currently on a drip daily and gets a deep watering once per week. However, this tree may not have been getting enough water during spring (Mar-May) and when I noticed it wasn't growing as quick as the other (late-May) I adjusted for more water. However, this tree still does not look quite healthy and has a lot of chew marks on most of it's leaves from something.

Please look at the pictures and let me know if you have any ideas on what may be going on that's causing such variations. They supposed to both be 'Autumn Blaze' Maples - but with such contrast, I don't even know?!!

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I think that the maple in the grass received more water and good conditions of umidity
    alex

3. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

TRADERJMF,

Taking into account the somewhat low rainfall in the area where you live, the different growth patterns may be explained, as Alex points out, by the different watering schedules and the apparently better soil for the 'red' tree. The second tree should respond to the improved watering schedule and these trees are strong growers which, once installed, can take some drought.
    However I am puzzled by the large difference in leaf colour for which I cannot find a convincing explanation. Exposure could not be one since both seem to be in full sun (needed for the Fall colours). Then, I believe, there is only genetics: either the color difference is within the normal genetic variability or the red comes from a hybrid seedling but, who was the father?

Gomero

4. Andrzej

Andrzej Active Member

I have a similar situation with my acer rubrum. On a few branches leaves turn red/brown. Intreresting...

5. alex66

acer Rubrum is in good conditions when the "PH"of soil is low ,with one stick for PH test misure the level of your acer Rubrum.....

6. Andrzej

Andrzej Active Member

is ph=phosphate?

7. smivies

smivies Active Member

pH is a measure of acidity/alkalinity on a 0 to 14 scale, 0 being most acidic and 7 being neutral.

P is phosphate, N is nitrogen, and K is potassium.

8. alex66

"PH"test avaible in garden center easy to use.alex

9. Andrzej

Andrzej Active Member

Thanks,
    And what about Manganese?
    I 've read that soil pH lower than 5.0 does not cause any noticeable problems in the maple trees. Also if the pH is very low(lower than 4.5) can result in toxicity...
    Is pH 5.0 to 5.6 best range for red maples?

10. alex66

i have in my field PH neutral for some maple ,5/6,5 is best range ,ex.acer Campestre live good in alcaline (moderate)soil .Manganese is a micro elments that trasmormer CO2 in sugar, in alkaline soils is not avaible for plant and this cause "clorosi ferrica"(sorry but i know this word only italian)not iron avaible for leaves .....alex

11. Andrzej

Andrzej Active Member

Thanks Alex,
    I think you are talking about chlorosis that is a result of Mn deficiency...

12. Andrzej

Andrzej Active Member

Alex,

I increased the irrigation for my Sunset maple. It looks like the leafs are less wilty, but still have some branches with the same red/brown color.

Regards,
    Andrzej