about kiwi sap in spring

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by mariadf, Mar 20, 2020.

1. mariadf

mariadf New Member

Good morning, I have an organic farm in the province of Padua, north east Italy, virus crown center!!!
    I have kiwi plants planted in 1974. Now as every year they are "crying". For some years, in this period, I have been collecting liters and liters of sap. I ask if anyone knows the properties of this sap. I hope it is not immunosuppressive .. it would not be the case in this period.
    Does anyone know the properties of this sap and that of the vineyards?

Thanks a lot,
    thanks maria dalla Francesca

www.scuolafattoria.it if you like, look at the blog:Esperienze in fattoria...continua a leggere

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I had never thought of collecting sap from kiwi. In a quick search I found people using sap from Actinidia arguta and Plants for a Future seems to indicate A. deliciosa as generally safe to consume.

I would wonder if it might be harmful to the plants to collect though? Most sites on kiwi maintenance recommend only pruning in winter to avoid the heavy sap flow that kiwis produce as it might induce pathogens in other seasons.

On the other hand, at this point I am curious to taste sap from Actinidia.

3. mariadf

mariadf New Member

am very happy with the answer.
    I fully agree that both actinidia and vine plants should be pruned when they don't "cry". This normally, until a few years ago, coincided with the winter period ending March 21. So pruning in February was a good time. But lately there are no more seasons even in northern Italy. Our actinidia plants were pruned between 17 and 21 FEBRUARY 2020. So it should have been a good time, but evidently Nature had already started moving. Now, today, for example, it is very cold, much more than in February. We also pruned in February last year and the result was the same. In my opinion, even pruning them in the "real" winter is not good. The "balsamic" period for pruning would be a moment before Nature and the plant begin to move. But, in these times, experience does not help us and it is more luck than skill. With two plants we did as if to obtain maple syrup: we made two incisions.
    If you find more information on the composition and nutritional powers of actinidie lymph, I am very interested to know.
    However, it is very pleasant to drink a few glasses a day.
    Let's keep in touch.
    THANK YOU.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  4. mariadf

mariadf New Member

about collecting the sap of actinidia in Spring
    P.S. they began to "cry" about 15 days days after pruning, that is, the first week of March.
    To treat plants from wounds, too large, due to pruning, we spread them with honey

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2020