a troubled palm

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by qualicumbeach, Jul 18, 2007.

1. qualicumbeach

qualicumbeach Member

About 18 months ago I placed a 7' Windmill Palm in a raised box here in Qualicum and it has never really looked very good (brown listless fronds, etc) and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice as how to improve this plant.

I have attached 3 photos of the palm taken today.

Peter

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Try giving it ten times the rooting area. That is nowhere near enough soil for it to establish a healthy root system. There is also a possibility it is being poisoned by any wood preservatives in the wood the box is made of.

Also remove that snake wrapped round it!

3. jenf

jenf Member

I live close by, and have a bunch of T. fortunei. It was a tough winter, my largest, about 15' in the ground, came through pretty well. I had one other in the ground about 4' and 2 about 2' that I think are toast. The 10 or so in containers did ok but show frond damage. I have a robusta that had fronds growing like yours, it's the only one of three that survived, but it's newest fronds look more normal. Generally putting them in the ground helps them out, but looks like that may not be an option for you, and it didn't seem to help mine, therefore I'm blaming the soil and a brutal winter of cold and wet, with no respite. Your palm is growing, maybe some fertilizer would help it's recovery and hope for a better winter this year.
    Christmas lights wrapping the trunk in the winter can be helpful if they give off a little heat. I doubt that they are doing any harm unless they are cutting into the trunk.
    I would think that cutting the inflorescences would allow the palm more energy to put into it's growth as well. Although maybe those are last year remains?
    Good luck, it looks like it just needs some TLC, if you decide to give up on it let me know, I would be happy to give it a home :)

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

jenf is right, and a regular watering regiment is good advice too. These always respond to regular watering. If you got the same rain in QB as we did in Lantzville, so no need to concern yourself for the short term.

Cheers, LPN.

5. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be worring about the water...i agree with Michael F...more room for the roots. I some times have this probably with big plants that are root bound before i put them in the ground...I'd say you have exactly the same problem mate. Good luck

Ed