A sickly lace leaf

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Roger L Purdom, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Roger L Purdom

Roger L Purdom New Member

I have a 14 year old lace leaf maple in our courtyard Japanese garden. It started having problems about 3 years ago. I have tried everything I know to pull it out of its funk.

The leaf tips are singed and new growth is very limited. The bark on the branches doesn't look healthy. It's not brown green but whitish.

I live in Eastern Washington, which has hot and dry summers and cold winters. My soil is fine sandy loam that doesn't have much natural organic material but is nicely drained and easily worked. Irrigation hasn't changed much since the tree was planted. The tree gets mostly sun, with mid to late afternoon shade. The tree grew vigorously for 10 years.

If I can't figure this out, the tree will need to be replaced. Since I'm 71, starting over again is not something I take lightly. Can anyone identify my problem? Is it fungal or viral or.....????

Attached Files:

2. 0soyoung

0soyoung Rising Contributor

Looks to me like it needs water; given your conditions, more frequently watered. The relative humidity is especially low during the heat of summer afternoons. I suggest that you try watering it daily in the early afternoons to prevent this. A dressing of decorative bark or wood chips around the edge of the foliage canopy will help reduce evaporation of soil moisture as well as keep the roots somewhat cooler.

However, I cannot help but think that something else changed about 3 years ago. It would be worth thinking through things that changed and maybe having those things discussed here. Was a tree that shaded it in the afternoons removed? Was a fence removed so that its location is now more exposed to breezes? Is it planted on a berm or in a depression? Were there any changes to the garden near this tree about 3 years ago? Etc. Lack of water 3 years ago might have made 'bark damage' that should be apparent on the trunk - is there any 'lifting bark'? Winter time desiccation also causes this kind of damage, but will be on the southern side of the trunk and stems.

It is possible that there was an event such as a very wet winter that suffocated much of the roots and that it has not redeveloped an adequate root system to cope with summer transpiration demands. At any rate, I think the fundamental issue is that water is being sucked out of the leaves faster than it can be supplied. Once the leaf tissue is toasted, it is toasted = the damage to these leaves is permanent. The proof of fixing the issue will be future leaves not suffering the same fate.

AlainK likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Roger L Purdom, good morning Roger and welcome to the maples forum. An excellent reply from @Osoyoung, I can only add that I see a lot of ground cover in what appears to be right up to the trunk. This should not happen and needs to be removed by at least a 3ft diameter around the trunk. ( the drip zone is preferable). This will allow water, oxygen and nutrients to get to the roots that IMO it is being starved of.
    Over the last three years I would imagine this ground cover has taken over the area your maple is situated and could well be the problem.
    Japanese maples do not like competition.

Hope that has given you something else to think on.

AlainK likes this.