A second chance...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Aug 3, 2022.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I got this Acer pseudosieboldianum var. takesimense from Emery.
    It was in a sunny spot, say, from 9 to 15. It began losing leaves. Most of them were not sun-scoched, they just fell off. Typical of a heat-stressed tree.
    I put it back in the shade, and though I didn't add any fertilizer, the new leaves are much bigger, though of a paler shade of green, and more deep lobes, more dissected like a palmatum.
    The first photo shows an "original" leaf at the bottom of the tree, the other one the new leaves :

acer-pseudosieb-tak_220803a.jpg acer-pseudosieb-tak_220803b.jpg

emery, 0soyoung, D97x7 and 1 other person like this.
  2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

That's interesting! I like the stressed leaves, though I wouldn't exactly call them palmatum-like. I think they will revert to type next year. The sister of this one here has managed to resist the heat. We had almost 33C today, really hot, and so dry. But it looks OK, and I repotted it a couple of days ago, into a 7.5l pot. The root was healthy but not very large.

BTW this is now raised in rank, and called Acer takesimense, tout court.

Anyway I'm glad you posted this because I still had all 3 takesimense listed in my database, unfortunate as I didn't say which ones had been sent off. One went to Poland where I know it survives (and has been confirmed as being the real thing, too), but I was unclear about the other: now I will mark your name on it, and change the status to "gone." -E

3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

No problem : I wrote the tag with a "Posca" pen, I can erase the "pseudosieboldianum var." with my thumb's fingernail ;0)

I went there too, in the '80s.

Met my grand-uncle, my granpa's brother. He was a very tall man, and looked so much like him that my mother had to hide her tears...

We met him on a stack of hay, in the barn, he was having his afternoon nap (farmers get up early and have very demanding work, especially when in July, the temeparature is high, and it was... To jest pravda ! ).

Weeks later, we heard from a "cousin" that he had been scared his brother's heirs were coming to ask for their share of land. Imagine waking up, you're 60+ or 70-, and you suddenly see and hear aliens saying "Hi, we're the grandchilren of your brother Antoni". What would you say, waking up from your afternoom nap in a land where "even the ravens fly on their backs" ?...

;0)

This was before the fall of the iron curtain, and the people were so poor once you had crossed the border, the land so.. derelict in East Germany and beyond, you can't imagine...

This is where one of my grabndparents was born. No pictures for the others, they lived in a city where most of the buildings were destroyed.

Bogu.jpg

…one flew east, one flew west,
    One flew over the cuckoo’s nest.