Identification: A. Muscaria?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by FrontRoRugby, Oct 27, 2007.

1. FrontRoRugby

FrontRoRugby Member

I have a friend who's found a few mushrooms and thinks they're Amanita muscaria. Neither of us can be 100% sure. He's considering eating them if they are. I have photos, but I was wondering if there are any similar looking mushrooms in the greater Vancouver area (Richmond, more specifically if it makes any difference)

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If in doubt, don't. Certainly looks like it. Use a detailed regional mushroom field guide to be sure.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  3. FrontRoRugby

FrontRoRugby Member

Looks like I'm off to the library
    Although it matches everything for classifying it on wikipedia. Granted, I could go change the entire wikipedia entry right now.

4. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Go to this page. http://www.mushroomexpert.com/amanita_muscaria.html. Read it and find out why it says "YOU ARE STUPID IF YOU EAT THIS MUSHROOM". I can only speak for myself, but I imagine that the page sums up the opinion of most mushroomers on this board.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  5. FrontRoRugby

FrontRoRugby Member

I actually believe i've read that one. haha. I spent aroiund 2 days just reading everything there was to read.

6. Illecippo

Illecippo Active Member

Is Amanita muscaria,

100%

TOXIC
    POISONUS
    TOXIC
    POISONUS
    TOXIC
    POISONUS

Don't EAT ! ! ! ! ! !

7. FrontRoRugby

FrontRoRugby Member

see i've heard that, but i've also heard that cooking it down (preparing it, etc) makes it less toxic
    i also know that lots of people in italy eat it. they boil it for a few minutes with salt

8. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

I've prepared the north american variety as they do in Europe. I assure you that it didn't remove any toxins (or at least not enough to sufficiently prevent the ill-effects a classical A. muscaria poisioning).

9. Illecippo

Illecippo Active Member

Don't eat.

Don't eat.

Don't eat.

Go out to find King Bolete and similar, they are edible!

10. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Doesn't matter how many times you state that, people will always go out to find Amanita muscaria to eat it and *try* to get some kind of high off it.

You can even buy dried A. muscaria on Ebay. I don't know who is stupider, the people who sell it or the people who buy it.