A linearilobum JM

Discussion in 'Maples' started by chumasero, Jul 23, 2006.

1. chumasero

chumasero Active Member

Just bought a 15 gal linearilobum JM. It is 106F today and I made a big mistake on the way back - I left the tree in my sedan and went to another store for 30 minutes or so. Then I found sadly that all leaves are dried up except some of the irregular leaves on a couple current year new branches. Please help to survie my tree.
    Thanks,
    PG

2. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Congratulations on your new acquisition; the linearolibums are beautiful. Undoubtedly you paid quite a bit of money for a 15 gallon. The course of action I would take would depend upon whether the nursery advised you about how and when to transport the tree. Consider a customer who drove over from San Jose to purchase a tree when it was 106 degrees, which is not that uncommon in the Sacramento Valley. How do they advise that the tree be transported? The drive home in that case presumably would have been longer than your drive home yesterday. It is not surprising that the leaves would fry against the glass, but otherwise to have all of the leaves dry up during that time period is a bit of a surprise to me. Given the size and price, I would take it back for another one and let them wait for the next set of leaves on this one. Perhaps they can sell it in its fall glory. Others may have different reactions. Even when the temperatures are in the high 80's, if I am transporting plants for some distance in my little Honda, I shade them, and of course leave the window open a bit, when I leave the car for a short period. All I had for my last 500-mile trip was beach towels, so I wrapped a few in one towel, and laid another towel over the others. They definitely would have fried otherwise with temperatures in the high 90's.

3. chumasero

chumasero Active Member

Thanks. Now 2/3 from the top turns black. I just hope some new shoots can come out from the bottom this fall.

4. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Can you post a photograph? I assumed that the leaves were crispy, but I am surprised that the stems are black, which doesn't sound right to me for a drive home in a hot car. Is it possible that the tree had not been watered at the nursery for some time before you purchased it, i.e. it was really light when you picked it up?

5. chumasero

chumasero Active Member

Now I recall it was light when I put it in a cart in the nursery and I thought it was a kind of light soil mix for a second. Now I suspect it was because of the water, too.