A dying tree?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by J Alexander, Dec 19, 2008.

1. J Alexander

J Alexander Member

I've have my (5'10) japanese maple tree since the fall, I have it indoors (which i know isn't great to begin with but i live in a large apartment in the city and he does get partial sunlight and near an open window with other plants). At first the leaves were dry (didn't have many leaves to begin with) no new leaves would grow so i decided to pick them off and trim him of dead branches. Once i did, a couple days later i noticed leaves sprouting! Weeks past, I noticed some leaves were receding--drying up. I figured it was that time of year where he sheds...

I moved him from a very in closed space to the living room, this is when i noticed leaves changing color--from the center of the leaves. Turning a kind of reddish color, i figured this was normal but then they start to recede--even the small new leaves that sprout! Is it dying? Most of the other leaves are just fine, what should i do?

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

You are 'forcing' a cold climate deciduous tree to be in leaf during the wrong time of the year, in winter. This is not likely to work out well at all. Put in the brightest, coolest possible location and hope it is still in leaf and alive in spring, when it goes back outside - to a shaded area where the tender leaves made in the house will not burn up in the sun.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

And while it is still inside, keep the air humidity around it as high as you can, preferable decidedly steamy. Indoor air in a cold climate place normally tends to get far too dry.