75+ yr old cedar for wood recovery

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by mike harrison, Nov 20, 2007.

1. mike harrison

mike harrison Member

We think we might need to get rid of a beautiful old cedar. I don't want to, but it's starting to play havoc with our drainage. I'd love to give it to someone who would make a fence out of it, carve it into something beautiful, make shakes out of it or what ever.

Mike

2. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

You should be able to ask the arborist who removes it whether he (or she) can get it into the timber pipeline; I've been assured (on the forum here) that any arborist would factor the wood value into the job, and when we were getting estimates for a tree removal job here recently that was indeed the case (ours proved to be worth nothing, as it happened, but it wasn't cedar). However, a guy down the street who has a woodshop took a couple of long lengths and has big plans for them, and if you want to send it to a happy home yourself there are probably ways to connect with carvers and woodworkers and so on, maybe local forums, yellow pages, arts councils, native carvers, but above all, Craigslist. If you have trouble proceeding, send me a private message here, and I might be able to give you a few people to call.