4 Kinds of Plums on 1 Tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by kinnika, May 14, 2008.

1. kinnika

kinnika Active Member

For Mother's day my hubby bought me a Plum Tree. It has 4 different graphs on 1 tree. They are Pembina, Tecumseh, Brookgold and Pfitsen. Has anyone ever tried this kind of tree? I have one that has 2 different apples and it is fantastic.

2. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

Multiple varieties on a tree are great especially if you have a small space. The plums on that tree will do well for you in Edmonton. Good luck.

3. Ottawa-Zone5

Ottawa-Zone5 Active Member

I got for "Brother's" day a bare-root multi-graft plum tree with 4 types grafted (Italian Prun, Methley, Staley and Beauty plum). It is just sprouting green leaves. Unfortunately the Methley graft seems to be failing. There is still faint hope because though the buds are dead the Methley branch does not look dried yet.

4. Thean

Thean Active Member 10 Years

Howdy Kinnika,
    Whereabout in Alberta are you? That is a good combination - 2 hybrids (Pembina and Tecumseh) and two Japanese (Brookgold and Ptitsin). The hybrids produce very poor pollen and are thus often poor producers when planted by themselves. You should have no problems with pollination as the Japanese plums can pollinate each other and the hybrids as well.
    With multiple grafted trees, you should be careful as they have different vigor. Pruning will ensure one does not outgrow and suppress the others.
    Peace
    Thean

5. kinnika

kinnika Active Member

Hi Thean:
    I am in Drumheller. Thanks for your input. I am happy so far with the results that are taking place. Hey do you know of a good Pear tree for our area? I have been looking at some but so far have not found any that I feel will be okay.
    Dianne

6. Thean

Thean Active Member 10 Years

Howdy Kinnika,
    Unfortunately there is only one pear worth growing for fresh eating (in my opinion). It's Ure. The fruits are small but it compensates its lack of size with sugary sweet, juicy pears. Since it is a self-sterile plant, it needs a pollinator. Any other pears will do. The man (peace be upon him) who bred Ure also had another good one before he passed on. His son is now testing it and hopefully it will be released soon.
    Peace
    Thean