24 year old Lilac Bush

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Susie Justice, May 27, 2008.

1. Susie Justice

Susie Justice Member

My very first mother's day gift was left at a previously sold home. How and when can I take a slip to plant in my own yard. It is now in Langley, BC and I live in South Surrey, BC.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Surf the web for "lilac propagation".

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

There are many, many, many varieties of lilacs, most of which propagate easily from layering or division. Many also send up numerous suckers that can be split off. Most of the late blooming lilacs (Prestonia group) start very easily from softwood cuttings, taken in early summer (right now). These should be treated with rooting chemicals and kept under mist, or covered with a plastic tent to prevent drying out (When under mist the success rate should be near 100%, using a plastic tent 50%). French lilac cuttings and those taken from old-fashioned lilacs or similar species should also be taken when they are actively growing (right now) and placed in a moist medium (NOT under mist where they will lose their leaves before they root). Instead of frequent misting, they should receive only an occasional misting of leaves, and not be kept constantly wet. The rooting medium should be exceptionally well drained. Coarse perlite or sand is often used. Rooting should take place in abundant light, but direct sunshine will dry out the plants too rapidly. Keep the cuttings covered with a plastic tent to prevent drying out. Temperatures of at least 70F are necessary if the rooting is to take place before the leaves drop. Some years back my son rooted an old fashioned lilac, just be sticking it in the compacted ground near the alley, it is now a large bush. Good luck. - Millet