2009 Maple leafout reports

Discussion in 'Maples' started by emery, Mar 2, 2009.

1. nicosaturno

nicosaturno Member

this is another of my bonsai. Leaves are opening. Variety unknown, imported from Japan.
    regards,
    Nicolò

Attached Files:

2. dawgie

dawgie Active Member 10 Years

I live in North Carolina, USA, Zone 7. Typically my containerized JMs leaf out sooner than ones planted in the ground, but I've got some exceptions this year. Here are my earliest to leaf out this year:

- Wilson's Pink (pot), fully leafed out.
    - Lovett (pot), leafed out with 1-2 inches new growth.
    - Mikawa yatsubusa, leafed out with 1-2 inches new growth.
    - Shin de shojo (ground), leaves just breaking out
    - Tiger Rose (pot), leaves just breaking with lots of flowers
    - Kamagata (pot), leaves just breaking out
    - Emperor (pot), leaves just breaking out. I thought this was supposed to be a late variety?
    - Koto no ito (ground), leaves just breaking out
    - Beni otaka (ground), leaves just breaking out
    - Orange Dream (pot), buds extending
    - Shishigashira (pot), buds extending
    - Ojishi (pot), buds extending
    - Sharp's Pigmy (pot), buds extending

3. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

For the first and last: OK to report. For the all in between: not OK, there are darn too many to count and report ;o)).
    Otherwise, in order to entertain the wait of those in colder areas, here are some pics taken today. Most are easy to guess except maybe number 3 ('Jerre Schwartz'), number 5 ('Peve Multicolor') and number 9 ('Komon nishiki').

Gomero

Attached Files:

4. Arktrees

Arktrees Member

No picture here, but I do have something to report. AS of today 3/23/09 USDA zone 6b NW Arkansas. I can report:

Japanese Maples
    Emperor I (pot) with leaves
    Mikawa yatsubusa (ground) splitting buds but no leaves yet

Other Maples
    Acer griseum 2x (both ground) 1 no activity, 1 beginning to flower and almost leaf out (these are first year in ground but lived in pots ~25 miles/40 km in same climate for years)
    Acer truncatum "Fire Dragon" very extended buds 1-2 days at most away from leaf (BTW encountered 21F (28F two other days) with ice fog with about 6-8" succulent shoots last year and suffered NO DAMAGE)
    Acer saccharum 2X: 1 "Fall Fiesta" pushing buds near flower; 1 "Commemoration" no activity
    Acer freemanii 2X: "Autumn Blaze" & "Autumn Fantasy" both pushing buds

I have read over and over how Acer griseum is about the last thing to begin growing in spring, but one of mine is not far behind my first leafer's. Strange. And yes I'm sure it's griseum. Hopes this is of some use to someone.

UPDATE:
    3/24/09
    After a night where the low temperature was 65F/18C, several more popped today.

Japanese Maple
    Mikawa yatsubusa (ground) first leaves opened today

Other Maples
    Acer griseum 2x (both ground) 1 no activity, 1 open flowers and open leaves

Acer truncatum "Fire Dragon" open leaves

Now if they just don't freeze, as the weather models are saying there is a possibility of snow Friday night/Saturday morning. Doesn't look to be tremendously cold, but............ Such is the spring weather in the middle of a continent with no physical barriers between you and the tropics or the arctic.

UPDATE #2:
    April 9, 2009
    Acer griseum Add the second plant to the mix. After freezing weather, it has now emerged into leaf.
    Acer freemanii 'Autumn Blaze'

UPDATE #3:
    April 18, 2009
    I know the forum is not really about these, but they are maples. :-)
    Acer sacchrum 'Fall Fiesta'
    Acer freemanii "Autumn Fantasy'

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks to everyone for posting to this thread. I hope you continue as the season progresses!

Gomero, you have too many trees. And your weather is too good. And as usual the pics are amazing, thanks. Apparently you have accumulated good karma somewhere! ;)

Leafed out today, 24 March, A. oliverianum 'Nakahara beni', full shade, second year in the ground for this immature graft.

-E

6. emery

leafed out as of today 27 March (but only just):

A. rufinerve 'Sunshine'
    A. davidii 'Karmen'

Both these plants received from Esveld last fall, but Karmen is a rather large > 2m specimen that I planted in the fall, whereas Sunshine, a very young (presumably 2 yr) was planted earlier this spring. Sunshine is suffering from pseudomonas but I hope will recover, especially now as leaf out is happening. Karmen is a replacement for my previous plant, a rooted cutting obtained from Vasterival, which sadly died in the wet.

7. tjcher

tjcher Active Member

Kamagata is in the lead here. (Potted)
    Followed by Emperor 1 (Potted)
    With Sango Kaku close behind (Potted)
    Sekimori is just starting to push (Potted)
    Hogyokyu is swelling (Potted)
    Jiro Shidare is just starting to push (Potted)

The following have buds, and maybe minimal swelling
    Bloodgood (Ground)
    Seiryu (Ground)
    Orangeola (Ground)
    Butterfly (Ground)
    Inaba Shidare (Potted)
    A.S. Moonrise

Also, we had a week of 70's (F) with lows in the 40's (F). Then, this week, we had a winter storm come through and drop about a foot of snow. Last night, the low was about 18 (F). I brought all of the potted plants into the garage, but will this be damaging to the trees in the ground? I hope not, as they haven't really started to leaf out just yet...
    Tom

8. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

today 27 03 2009
    Jm 9804 50%
    Jm Orange dream 80%
    Jm Koto ito komaci 80%
    Jm Geisha 50%
    Jm Geisha gone wild 30%
    rufinerve Sunshine first 30% in shade ,second in full sun 60%
    pectinatum Taorense 90%
    " " Sirene 100%

9. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

SPRING HAS SPRUNG!!

Literally EVERYTHING is leafing out now. Not a single hold-back. The current stars of the show are 'Komachi hime' - just too beautiful - and 'Ueno yama', which is putting 'Orange Dream' to shame for orange color! All of them are beautiful, of course! And the daffodils and tuplips are really adding to the show. Azaleas are next to pop.

My favorites change daily...so enjoy pics and I'll post more as I get the chance. (file names are titles)

Attached Files:

10. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Simply BEAUTIFUL! I'm dying for my trees to open, open, open!

So far I have one tree with leaves... Sigh.

I'm not positive what cultivar it is. This tree is literally the very first JM I ever bought and I had no idea what I was getting into. Here's what happened:

I went in to buy some fruit trees and passed by this stunning little tree that was right by the entrance and the cash register (smart placement). Up until that time I had never bought anything other than a few inexpensive ornamentals and fruit trees. My concept of a JM was something from a grandmother's garden. But this tree grabbed me. So I glanced at the price tag and experienced my first tree sticker shock. Remember, at this time fruit trees were my base line.

So I went through the nursery checking their stock against my carefully frugal wish list. But somehow I never let this little tree out of my sight for long. I kept wandering back over to it. I finally made up my mind that I loved it so much I was willing to talk to the hubby about this lovely little tree and let him laugh at me; maybe I could convince him it would be a good birthday present for me. And as I walked up to the cash register to pay for my selections I passed by two women admiring the tree. One of them said, "I'm going to talk with my husband about this tree tonight."

My stomach dropped and my heart started pounding - PANIC - what if she got "my" tree?! The next thing I knew I was calming explaining, "I'm so sorry, but this tree is no longer available. I just bought it today. They're marking it for me right now." The nursery woman with me who had tagged my fruit trees pulled out a tag and marked it right then and there without saying a word. But she was fighting a smile.

And that was my introduction to Japanese Maples. Of course I immediately lost the tag after potting up the tree (a helpful friend who watered for me while I was out of town removed and tossed it). When I asked the nursery what I bought, they told me a name that sounded Japanese. When I got my Vertrees I tried to look up what I thought the word had sounded like... Omurayama? Which it is not, because it is not a weeping cultivar. But maybe what they said was, "Ueno Yama" and my uneducated ear and faulty memory distorted it. Or maybe it's a Katsura and this vague memory is just misleading. Or maybe something else.

So here are some pictures of my mystery tree. Which cultivar do you all think it is?

The first picture was taken almost one week ago. The second picture was taken yesterday. I'll try and find some pictures I took last year when it had more leaf.

Attached Files:

11. paxi

paxi Active Member

Oh thank you - I thought I was the only one who did this. I wrote out a nice map of exactly where I wanted each cultivar but when they came I made several last minute switches feeling sure I would remember....oops. Hoping that when all leafed out, it will come back to me. Lessoned learned. BTW, be careful for what you wish for... a cold snap coming in. Of to throw some hoodies on some of the early risers.

12. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

More Goodies:

Just had to post some additional pics, since this is one of my favorite stages of growth for any plant, really (leaf-out).

I've tried to capture some of the more rare cultivars I have, along with some old stand-bys. I think I may be the first on the block to have 'Alpine Surprise', but I may be surprised! (OK, enough jokes)

File names are titles:

Attached Files:

13. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Wow you guys are so far ahead of us, except Kay. Zone 5 is the mid-west is way different than here although we do get snow in April except it would be on the maple leaves and buds.

'Japanese Sunrise' is in the lead here except for 'Hanami nishiki' which is further along. This could explain why it is considered tender. It's not tender on the low temp side more likely the early leaf out causes plants to get frost ravaged.

'Katsura' was exquiisite last Spring and is shaping up to excel even last years show. The 'Katsura' photo in the link and the pic below were taken 3/29/08 and 3/29/09 respectively.

Attached Files:

14. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Re: 2009 Maple leafout reports: Last to leafout

Here is now (March 29th, zone 8) the report on the last to budbreak and leafout.

There are several species with the buds still pretty closed: pentaphyllum, henryi, calcaratum, nipponicum, maximowiczianum, griseum, rufinerve, some of the pectinatums and cappadocicum (and its cultivars)

In the palmatum/japonicum/shirasawanum group, the ones that are really behind (no bud break) are: 'Autum Moon' 'Ukigumo' and 'Hogyoku'.
    Just bud breaking are: 'Shigitatsu sawa', 'Aka shigitatsu sawa', 'Sawa chidori', 'Deshojo nishiki', shirasawanum 'Aureum', 'Diane', 'Shirazz', 'Oshio beni', 'Pung kill', 'Pink Filigree', 'Shigure zome', 'Deshojo nishiki' and 'Inaba shidare'.

All others and in leaf

Gomero

15. emery

Amazing but also here in zone 8 almost nothing new to report. Lots of buds swelling.

A. oliverianum ssp formosanum beginning in leaf today 31/3. In pot delivered from Holland last fall, I didn't want to plant until danger of frost is past. (In fact we've had hard frosts for the last few mornings.)

A few are very close, should have more to report by the weekend perhaps.

-E

16. Daniel Otis

Daniel Otis Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

This is a delayed response to Emery, who noted with surprise that saccharinum flowers before rubrum. I too assumed that rubrum was first, but a careful observer here told me silvers were always first, and I've found that to be true.

'Laciniatum Wieri' is a great tree--on my young plant, I find that the second growth later in the summer is much more finely dissected. And let me mention, in case some of you need a lot more maples, I've found that a reasonably high percentage of seedlings of a different finely dissected silver,
    'Skinneri,' produce seedlings with odd, twisted, single-lobed, or otherwise peculiar leaves. I even have a variegated seedling (not the one I showed pictures of a while ago). I plant seeds in mid-May and usually have some oddballs by September. 'Wieri' is a better cultivar, so I'd expect the same from it.

To be true to the thread: What's out in Ithaca--zone 5 or 6--among the palmatums and japonicums? Nothing, although reds and silvers are in their glory. It will probably be a couple of weeks yet for nonnative maples in the ground.

Dan

17. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to post all these lovely photos and text.

The most positive spin I can put on my own situation is that MOST of the snow has melted, and all of the maples appear to be alive.

18. paxi

paxi Active Member

Re: 2009 Maple leafout reports: Last to leafout

just to try and draw some trends, I should note that my ukigumo and shirasawanum aureum are also "late breakers". The plant that is showing the least sign of bud break is murasaki kiyohime

19. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I hope your muraski kiyohime is not dead Paxi, because that cultivar is in the first 20% or so for bud break here in the UK. If I could make one generalisation I would say that those cultivars of Acer Palmatum with small leaves leaf out before those with large leaves.

Our weather in England has started to warm up again after a week or so of cold conditions and some frost at night, and leafout is continuing again after seeming to stall for a week.

Leafing out:
    Red Filigree Lace
    Kiyohime
    Katsura
    Sango Kaku
    Murasaki Kiyohime
    Coonara Pygmy
    Shishigashira
    Filigree

Breaking bud:
    Shindeshojo
    Beni Tsukasa
    Wou Nishiki
    Kinran
    Aratama
    Sunset
    Seiryu
    and some others

Holding back:
    Inaba Shidare
    Ichigyoji
    Osakazuki

20. emery

After a couple days of warm sun, on 3 April I saw first leaves on:

A. campestre 'Magic Spring' (moved, but in ground since fall '07) First campestre! but others are close.
    A. rubescens 'Millicent' (2 plants in pots, from Holland this fall) First rubescens
    A. japonicum 'Kujaku nishiki' (new in pot from Holland)
    A. pseudoplatanus 'Corstorphinense' (FS, 4th year in ground and vigorous) First sycamore, the native ones are way behind.
    A. pictum (FS, 4th year in ground but only now establishing well)

Starting to get some action!

-E

21. tugo

tugo Active Member

If İstanbul is also included in to your reports, I am happy to inform you that today I have the first leaves sprout.

Crimson Queen, transplanted in last year May.
    Zone 9
    Since 1 week days are 55 - 60 F and nights abt 39 - 42 F.

See our new baby leaves.
    Best regards

CQL.JPG

22. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

today 4-4-2009 in bloom platanoides Crimson King and platanoides Prigo
    opend buds Pentaphyllum
    tegmentosum White Tigress 40%
    rufinerve Kofuji' nishiki 50%
    rubescens Tickled Pink 60%
    jm Alpenweiss 80%
    jm reticulatum Como 100%
    jm Coral Bark 60%
    Diabolicum 30%
    sterculianum Franchetii 40%
    pilosum stenelobum 80%
    pics 120 JPG Alpenweiss
    pics 132 JPG Como
    pics 133 JPG Coral bark

Attached Files:

23. paxi

paxi Active Member

ahh tugo, great to hear from you! I remember that this was a big decision for you and glad to see things made it ok from winter. thanks for reporting back.

24. tugo

tugo Active Member

Thanks paxi. She never felt lonely here, because of the back up given by you and other UBC friends.

25. emery

visible leaves today 5/4 on

A palmatum 'Orange Dream' (first palmatum, mature in ground, others not far behind)
    A bergeurianum ssp bergeurianum (mature in ground)