20' tall privacy - Green Giants?

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by sandra black thumb, Jul 19, 2009.

1. sandra black thumb

sandra black thumb Member

I would like to plant some evergreens that will reach about 20' tall along my cedar fence. They need to be relatively narrow, sort of like smaragds cedars, but taller. Are Thuja Green Giants the answer? I have seen really tall cedars in my neighborhood, that look like smaragds...but I'm not sure what they are because so tall.

My yard is southfacing and I have a lot of clay.

Thank you,
    Sandra

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

There are many cultivars of Thuja occidentalis. Before 'Smaragd' displaced it 'Fastigiata' ('Pyramidalis') was prevalent on the market. This last is frequent in plantings here, often showing by the size it has reached after decades of growth that it is not a dwarf. Neither is 'Smaragd'. If you need the 20' soon you will have to plant a faster, taller grower like 'Green Giant' that will not remain only 20' tall. If it not being more than 20' tall is critical then you will have to plant a smaller, slower-growing screen like 'Smaragd'. This will not, of course remain 20' tall on good sites. But it will take quite some time to get that high unless stimulated by lush growing conditions.

The value of 'Green Giant' is that it provides attributes of T. plicata to climates where it is less suitable. Here, where T. plicata is native we can use the real thing instead. 'Green Giant' produces coarser, less refined foliage.

3. sandra black thumb

Do Green Giants grow cylindrically like the smaragds? Can their growth be stunted?

4. Ron B

Arborvitaes grow more slowly on less suitable sites but become thin there. If you want an attractive hedge you will have to compromise between quick satisfaction and long-term suitability. Maybe you don't really need it to be 20' tall, something shorter providing adequate effect. There can be a big difference between something and nothing between you and the unwanted view.

5. sandra black thumb

We have low-rise apartments across the lane, and seek fast-growing privacy. Our garden beds are not that wide, therefore want something relatively narrow (approx. 4ft)

6. Ron B

Narihira or other bamboo with root barrier might work better for you. Do have to keep bamboo watered and fertilized for good appearance, and bamboo mites are common on plantings here. Like other broad-leaved evergreens there is much dropping of litter during the growing season.

Tall, narrow hedges that shoot up quickly but then remain in scale are frequently asked for. Except for bamboo most quick hedges are coarse and overwhelming, most refined hedges (yew, holly, box - or 'Smaragd') often requiring decades to grow 20' tall.

The closest to a 20' x 4' hedge that never grows taller would be vertical type of running bamboo such as Narihira contained by a root barrier.

7. sandra black thumb

Thanks for all your advice!