2 stems on Red Lion

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by gerig31, Feb 2, 2007.

1. gerig31

gerig31 Member

Hello, I'm new to this forum , hope I can get some help...I have a beautiful Red Lion
    bulb that has developed two stems with 4 flowers on each.. the question I have is
    this normal, and now that one stem of flowers are fading, should I cut that stem to
    allow more nutrients to the reamaining one that has bloomed

I would would like to see if I can save this bulb and hopefully get it to bloom again,
    but I'm am a green horn here.

Thank You

2. rockminer

rockminer Active Member

I am assuming that the "red lion" you refer to is the amaryllis hybrid. If that is so then yes you can not only save the bulb but possibly get it to reflower. On mine, when the flower wilts I remove it and then the stem(s) as it begins to wilt. I usually get another flower stalk to start at that point. I fertilize as I water with dilute (1/2 of recommended) 10-52-10 and with regular Miracle Gro when the flowers are gone. Every winter I cut back the foliage and keep the bulbs dormant for 2-4 months. There are a number of excellent Amaryllis growing sites on the net. Hope this helps, Bill

3. gerig31

gerig31 Member

Thank You for your information...I've tried to save bulbs in the past but to no success.

How do I go about letting the bulb go dormant and then re-start it.

again, thanks for the input,,to this greenhorn.
    gg

4. rockminer

rockminer Active Member

This is a very simple site with the best information I have found for the basics of growing Hippastreum. In the winter I wrap pot and all, after cutting back the leaves, in a blanket and stick it in a cool closet until I remember it sometime between January and March. It has worked well for me. Here is one of mine that is 6 years old and was waked up 6 days ago. I saturated the pot the first day and will not add much more water, if any, until the leaves start to grow. It will want a lot of sun in the summer to recharge the bulb. Mine grow in almost full sun from after last frost until fall. When you do put them out you may want to do it slowly until they adjust to the sun. They can sunburn but even if that happens mine have always put out new leaves. They must come in before any frost. I keep mine in their pots year round and only repot when I want to divide bulbs. BTW--we are all beginers at something so welcome and don't be shy. Bill

www.rochestergardening.com/bulbs/amrylcar.html

Attached Files: