19-24 July 2007 Wilderness Tour Chapleau, ON Area.

Discussion in 'Photography and Art' started by Durgan, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

http://rumoh.notlong.com 19-24 July 2007 Pictures have short descriptive annotations.

Neena, my dog, and I took a tour of the wilderness area around Chapleau, Ontario. Depicted are pictures of our tour and camping arrangements. We camped on Crown Land, which has no charge. There are many old logging roads, which gives access to numerous lakes. We swam, walked and took pictures of wildlife as it appeared. I tried fishing, but only caught small ones-so had no fish breakfast. Total milage was 2500 Km.

Seen were: one black wolf, five bears with cubs, and three moose, rabbits, beaver, crows, and grouse. It was not always possible to get pictures for various reasons. The area is a no-hunting reserve, so the animals are not too skittish.

One thing becomes immediately apparent is that the pollution of air is almost none-existant in this Northern Ontario Area. There is always a heavy smog layer in Southern Ontario, and it doesn't clear until one is almost at Highway 17. Bright night stars are apparent, which are seldom seen in Southern Ontario.

http://www.durgan.org/Blog/Durgan.html

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Nice pics! Like the Moose and the Ruffed Grouse.

3. suwe2001

suwe2001 Member

Thanks for sharing ! We do a lot of wilderness camping following old logging roads here in the Okanagan Valley in BC. We use our SUV for sleeping quarters pretty similar to your van arrangement. So I robbed you idea for your bug protection and it works great !!! Thank you again.

Suzanne
    www.okanaganwildlife.ca

4. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

The bug protection is simple,cheap and almost 100% effective. Nice to hear that you are using the method.

Just an observation. This was my first year experimenting with the self-inflating air matress from Cosco. I have used foam and air over the years and this self-inflating mattress surpasses all the others by far.

Your pictures are very impressive. What camera and lens do you use? Your internet display system is almost as good as mine-but not quite.

http://www.durgan.org/Blog/Durgan.html

5. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Nice looking area. I like photos of old trains. Next year, I may take a dining trip on a train.

My mom is from Ontario - Keewatin; now within Kenora.

I enjoyed several summers up there when I was younger. Great vacation province.