Anyone know what this is?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by jlyons316, Jul 24, 2007.

1. jlyons316

jlyons316 Member

This has been bugging me to no end and I finally found somewhere that might be able to help...anyone have any idea what this is? The seed pod is thistle-like with tiny black berry-like seeds packed inside. I'm thinking the flower is probably night blooming, and almost looks like a lily...any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. pierrot

pierrot Active Member 10 Years

3. jlyons316

jlyons316 Member

Well, I appreciate the response, however...upon further investigation, I found that the seed pod of the Brugmansia looks nothing like the one on my plant (thistle looking thing) , and this is not a tree, it's more of a plant (i.e. no bark)...unless maybe I just missed something somewhere? Also, I live in Arizona USA, not South America...I would wonder how in the world these seeds got here.

4. Tyrlych

Tyrlych Rising Contributor 10 Years

This is Datura, most likely D. meteloides.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Daturas such as yours frequently asked about, try searching this and other forums.

6. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looks like Datura. Datura and Brugmansia are often confused. Datura spp. are herbaceous, while Brugmansia are woody. Daturas never have pendulous flowers, Brugmansia generally have pendulous flowers (but not always.) The flowers of this plant are erect (the spent one is drooping.)

7. tumamoc

tumamoc Member

That is datura, probably Datura wrightii. Common names are sacred datura, jimson weed, and thornapple. They are night blooming, pollinated by hawk moths. The plant is highly poisonous--don't eat it! The ancient Hohokam Indians of the Phoenix Basin sometimes made effigy vessels that resemble the seed pod (the thornapple), suggesting that they used the plant as a hallucinogenic in ritual activities.

8. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

looks like it could also be datura discolor if there is a purple ring in the bottom of the throat of the inside of the flower than it is d discolor. if it is all white than it could be d wrightii. and them being poisonous is a good point.however there are allot of plants people grow as house plants that can be just as deadly and even some of the common landscape plants are poison.i grow all my brugs and dats in the back fenced in yard but there are several houses i know of that grow brugs in the front yard and have never had a problem with flowers getting stolen i just choose to grow them in the back.