What are these flowers?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by rll, Sep 30, 2003.

1. rll

rll Member

I have found the following two flowers growing at various locations in West Central Indiana. The yellow, daisy-like flowers, which I found growing at a local park, were about three feet tall when I took this picture on July 21 of this year. The thistle species, which I have found growing in abundance primarily in uncultivated or abandoned fields, generally ranges from two to five feet tall. The picture here was taken on August 18 of this year and the plant was about four feet tall. I've tentatively identified the thistle species as bull thistle, Cirsium vulgare, but am uncertain about the identification. Any help in identifying these two species would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

It will probably not surprise you that the photo on the left is of a wild sunflower, Helianthus sp. The particular species is difficult to identify from a photograph, but given that it was found in a local park, it is perhaps possible to err on the side of common. If that's the case, a likely candidate is Helianthus tuberosus, commonly known as Jerusalem artichoke. Not only is Helianthus tuberosus grown as an ornamental, but (to quote the second site below), "Jerusalem artichoke is the only vegetable of any consequence to come from North America."

USDA - Helianthus tuberosus

Floridata - Helianthus tuberosus

3. brittas234

brittas234 Member

I think the flower on the right is a thistle but not enough detail to say which one, cirsium dissectum perhaps?

4. Chris Klapwijk

Chris Klapwijk Active Member 10 Years

Curiously, the USDA link Daniel provided links to Helianthus strumosus.
    I tried linking to H. tuberosus on the same site with similar results.

The height and bloom period are contrary to our experience. Here in Langley H. tuberosus gets to be at least 2.5 to 3m (8 to 10') tall and doesn't bloom until the end of September. This may be a reflection of location, though.