tree identification

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by babbles, Aug 3, 2006.

1. babbles

babbles Member

I am having trouble identifying this tree. The tree is approximately 40' in height. The leaves are pinnately compound with coarse serrated margins. The underside (shown in pic) is lighter in colour than the top side of the leaf. There are about (5) leaflets per leaf stem. Each leaflet is pointed. The top leaflet seems to be larger than the other leaves. This tree was planted about 20 years here in Vancouver. The canopy is round in shape.

Attached Files:

2. cowboy

cowboy Active Member

Blue Elder, Blueberry Elder, Blue Elderberry

Sambucus cerulea Raf.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Not an elder (Sambucus). A shot of the buds would be nice.

4. Raakel

Raakel Active Member

Possibly an ash (Fraxinus) of some species due to the opposite leaf arrangement. The way the petiole appears to be attached to the stem, and the somewhat sparse shoot extension are similar to ash. As Ron mentioned, a picture of the buds would help a lot.

Raakel

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Ash would be my guess also.

6. babbles

babbles Member

Thanks for the input. I have added two pics of the leaf buds. This is the highest magnification I can manage. Because of the opposite leaf formation I had thought it should be one of the following: Maple, Ash, Buckeye, Dogwood. It seems to be an Ash, but there are only three to five leaflets per leaf. The three terminal leaves tend to be larger. I hope the bud pics helps.

7. babbles

babbles Member

I have also added two pics of the pinnately compound leaves. The first is the top view, the second being the underside. The underside is smooth. The terminal leaflet is almost 12 cm. The other leaflets are about 8 cm. I hope this helps.

8. Raakel

Raakel Active Member

My guess would be Fraxinus americana, White Ash, in looking at the way the bud is inset into the leaf scar. Here is a link, which shows the barks appearance at a young age. With time it should look significantly different. Here is another link with a number of photos, including the appearance of the bark at an older age.

Raakel

9. babbles

babbles Member

Thanks for the response. It certainly looks like a choice between White ash (Fraxinus americana) and Green ash (F. pennsylvanica). White Ash tends to have clearly stalked leaflets, while my sample does not.