This is a weed?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Michaela1, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Michaela1

Michaela1 New Member

Hi everyone!

I recently moved to a new house and there are some grass-like plants in the back garden that I can't identify. At first I thought they were some sort of bulb flower, but they haven't changed at all over the last few weeks. They seem to like the shadier areas of the garden.

Are they some kind of weed? I'm tempted to pull them all out.

Thanks so much. I haven't had a garden before up until now, but I'm excited to get my hands dirty!

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Not weedy. Possible that it is an autumn-flowering bulb that uses its spring foliage to gather energy. The leaves will then fade over the summer, and in autumn you'll see scapes (flowering stems) emerge without leaves.

3. SunniDaze

SunniDaze Member

I have a plant in my yard that looks like this. Maybe it's Smooth Woodrush, Luzula glabrata? It's a quiet plant, grows in little clumps, only 6-8" tall, doesn't spread. After 15 years the plants are still about the same size and haven't spread through out forest. It does well in partial shade. I don't know how it would do in the sun. luzulaglabrata-smoothwoodrush001b.jpg luzulaglabrata-smoothwoodrush001g.jpg luzulaglabrata-smoothwoodrush001j.jpg

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The original plant won't be Luzula glabrata -- there are no undulations on / waviness to the leaf margins.

5. SunniDaze

SunniDaze Member

Ah well. Someone will pin it!