Cave flower identification

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Sbk, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Sbk

Sbk New Member

I was wondering if anyone could help me identify this cave flower I found last week?

I was exploring some old mines I used to go to when I was younger and came across multiple flowers in the caves. The first one was close to the entrance, so had some ambient light. The other were quite deep into the mines (150m) & in complete darkness. I did find a small husk next to one of the plants, which was about 1/2" long, brown and was 3 sided. On closer inspection the leaves actually resembled a thicker waxy like flower, with a white underside. Similar to an orchid flower. At this point I thought it could have actually been some type of fungus.

I've attached a few images.

Many thanks

Attached Files:

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Welcome to the forums.
    I believe these are the young leaves of Fagus sylvatica...common name Beech tree.

Possibly taken into the cave by mice and stored.
    See link for seed.

beech nuts - Google Search

FAGUS  SYLVATICA 16-04-2015 12-39-37.JPG

Daniel Mosquin and Tyrlych like this.
  3. Nik

Nik Contributor

I second the opinion of Silver surfer, they seem like etiolated Fagus sylvatica seedlings.

4. Sbk

Sbk New Member

Hi thanks for the reply.

Yes that's exactly how to nut shell looked. Those old mines are under a forest and it has a lot of water running through various cracks from the outside. I guess it could have came in that way, as it's been pretty heavy rain on and off for the last few months. Also as you say some bird or animal could have carried them inside.

Will they continue to grow in complete darkness or eventually just die from lack of sunlight & nutrients?

Thanks again

Silver surfer likes this.
  5. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

I suspect they will just rot and die.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.