horsetail

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Meggie Ross, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Meggie Ross

Meggie Ross New Member

I know there are extensive threads about ridding the garden of horsetail. I just want to confirm that both of these are horsetail. The single stem variety has plagued me for years and is just slowly advancing but the feathery type is new and spreading like wildfire :(. I’m in the Okanagan the soil is ‘builder special’ lots of rock and clay but I’ve tried to amend it over the years. I’m currently just trying to stay on top of it by plucking it but it breaks off at the soil line. It is mostly spreading in an established perennial bed. The house is for sale so I don’t want to spend $ renovating the whole garden. TIA!

Attached Files:

2. Heathen

Heathen Active Member

The small stuff is definitely horsetail. We have plenty of it around Victoria. When people ask how to get rid of it, my old foreman used to say, "Move." So you're doing it right :)
    The company I work for puts the horsetail in the trash, as it won't necessarily die in the compost. The rhizomes are waaaayy too far down as well as too brittle to dig out usually. I wish you luck for a quick sale!

Meggie Ross likes this.
  3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, both are horsetail. Different species.