Id please- is it poisonous??

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by dcc, Apr 13, 2016.

1. dcc

dcc New Member

Hi!

My son keeps trying to eat these 'berries?' and I am afraid it may be poisonous. Can you please help me identify this tree. Thx!

Dcc

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Yes, but it is not as bad as that. It is what Wiki says, too:
    "The plant is placed in Toxicity Category 4, the category "generally considered non-toxic to humans," but the berries are considered toxic to cats and grazing animals."

4. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

According to www.paghat.com, the berries are "edible, but not especially tasty....the seeds are mildly toxic, probably not more so than apple seeds, as there has never been a case of people being harmed by eating Nadina berries", and goes on to say that they have been used in jelly, and the dried berries are used in Chinese medicine. So it's likely that the worst would be an upset stomach from the seeds, likely/primarily on account of the presence of hydrocyanic acid, but large quantities might yield greater toxicity. Still wouldn't recommend: probably a good, low-risk 'teachable moment' regarding eating unknown berries.

5. dcc

dcc New Member

Thank you very much all. I read the wiki link above and it says the berries are mainly in fall but I have lots right now. Is that normal?

6. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member