Root bound oxidendrum

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Franca, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Franca

Franca New Member

I planted a Sourwood tree several years ago, but I think it is not growing properly. The root ball in burlap was heavy clay and when I recently dug around the tree it was stll intact and I could not see roots growing out of it (at least in the top 4"). I would like to dig it up, wash the clay out and replant it. Is this too drastic? The tree is about 8 or 9 ft. Tall. Any suggestion?

2. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

The tree should not have been planted with the heavy clay and burlap still on it. The roots have probably grown in a circle and are severely root bound. You are right - it should be removed. I'm not sure of just when would be the best time to do this.

There are several excellent "tree people" on this site that I hope will give added information. ;)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  3. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

Hi, you can transplant any-time as long as the ground isn't frozen.

I would re-dig the hole at least twice as wide as the root ball, but no deeper than the top of the root ball. If you're planting into a clay soil, you can make the hole a lot wider than this.

knock off much of the clay, but don't damage the roots. Don't wash them.

Get some other good soil from around your yard and back fill the hole.
    You can also mix in some of the clay.

When balled and burlap are sold, the grower may void their warranty if you remove the burlap. The tree is better off without it.

This is because a lot of them sell product over the border.

Also, there are two types of burlap and one of them doesn't decompose.
    So, it's alright to rip off the burlap and that terrible orange plastic string.

You'll most likely require two posts inserted on either side of the root ball to stabilize the tree. Remove the posts in a year or two once the new roots have stabilized the tree on their own.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If you start knocking chunks off a clay ball housing a sod-rooted heath family tree like this you may lose chucks of fine roots along with it - if you can get chunks to come off. And you never want to modify planting hole back-fill soil, so that there is a zone of different material between the tree and the soil outside of the planting hole.

http://puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda Chalker-Scott/FactSheets/Planting fact sheet.pdf