Plant Identification

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by chirita, Nov 4, 2012.

1. chirita

chirita Active Member

I just received cuttings from a small trailing plant which I think is in the Cissus family. Does anyone know the name of this plant. Here are 2 photos of the cuttings set up in propagating mix.

Attached Files:

2. mrsubjunctive

mrsubjunctive Active Member

I've seen something similar-looking being sold very occasionally, under the name Parthenocissus stricta. That doesn't seem to be a valid botanical name, however, and some quick googling was insufficient to turn up a valid ID. Exotic Angel is the brand selling them as P. stricta, and EA almost never manages to tag their plants correctly, so perhaps this is to be expected.

3. chirita

chirita Active Member

Thanks for your reply. I checked Exotic Angel and that certainly does look like my plant. However, in my reading I don't think it is in the genus Parthenocissus but may be Cissus striata. Both genera are in the family Vitaceae. Cissus consists of mostly tropical plants while Parthenocissus includes some hardy vines in North America such as Virginia creeper. I thought that my plant was too small to be Cissus striata but it may be that I got cuttings from a very young plant and as the plant matures the leaves will become more leathery and look more typical.

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Looks like Parthenocissus 'Sugarvine'.

5. chirita

chirita Active Member

This is certainly a confusing little plant. I googled Parthenocissus Sugarvine and came up with several names for this plant including Parthenocissus striata 'Sugarvine', Cissus 'Sugarvine', and Cissus striata 'Sugarvine'. I am wondering if it is Cissus striata and somebody in distibuting it has give it the cute name of sugarvine I need a geneticist to tell me the difference between Parthenocissus and Cissus.