Is this a Myrtle Tree.. (Family Tree Mystery)

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Peadar, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Peadar

Peadar Member

Hey everyone,

This tree has baffled our family for some number of years. I grew up in southern Ireland and in our garden stood an evergreen tree. It has dusty red bark and small oval shaped leaves. In the summer it blooms with thousand of small white flowers that cover the tree like a coat of snow, very beautiful.

We were told it was a Myrtle tree but after investigating on line I just can't find a Myrtle like it. The one in my parents is a full sized tree, 10, 15 meters or so. I have synced moved to Madrid and my parents drove with a smaller tree for me terrace, it's about a meter high and I really wanted to know its name so I can care for it properly.

I have attached a close up photo I took a few weeks ago and I have more if needs be, just let me know...

I really do hope somebody here has an idea as this would solve an on going mystery in our family.

Many many many thanks everyone..

Peadar

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Probably Luma apiculata, Chilean myrtle.

4. NL66

NL66 Member

Luma apiculata is certainly well planted in West Cork, and has naturalised in many old gardens. The Britain and Ireland Champion Tree for height is found in a 2 acre myrtle woodland near Bandon and was last recorded at 17 metres. In Ireland it is often found for sale under the old name Myrtus luma.
    I think 10 metres would be exceptional for Myrtus communis!

5. Peadar

Peadar Member

Ok I have googled Luma apiculata and it really does look like it but it also says that it doesn't grow that high ??

I think that this is the one though, should I post more photo's just in case?

thanks everyone for you're help so far, I really really love you for it?

6. Peadar

Peadar Member