Potato Top Tomato

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by pgreen18, Oct 16, 2005.

1. pgreen18

pgreen18 Member

Hi, Once again, I appeal to you experts. I ordered seeds which were called Potato Top Tomatoes (they were given away free), but the plants didn't produce what was described. I emailed, but got no answer, so thought maybe someone would recognize these. The fruits are not large and pink as described, but small and deep purple. I'd like to know if they are poisonous if ingested and what they are. I am not complaining - am always delighted to experience a new plant, but I'd like to know what it is. The stems are not visible - you can see the bamboo stakes, the wire cage, etc. The orange is a flag, the yellow, a mattox, and the mint green a plastic plant protector. But the leaves and fruit and one small flower might help someone to identify. THANKS TO YOU ALL !

Attached Files:

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

It looks like Solanum but the pictures are a little rough. any chance you have a tripod around or perhaps you need to use a macro setting on your camera for sloseups?

3. pgreen18

pgreen18 Member

Thanks, Jimmy.
    I posted on gardenweb, too, and someone provided me with a link to a picture that looks like it. It's " Solanum melanocerasum, S. nigrum guineense ", or Garden Huckleberry, so you are right ! -patty

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

5. pgreen18

pgreen18 Member

Thanks, Eric, I got a reply to the second email this morning from the person who sent the seeds. Waiting for another after he views the web page I sent. But I'm pretty sure you're right - will let you know if he suggests otherwise. THANKS for looking and posting. -patty