Avocado Tree Help Needed

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by beausaunders, Apr 30, 2009.

1. beausaunders

beausaunders Member

Hello all... i wanted to narrow down what might be the cause of a problem im noticing on my young avocado tree. I sprouted it from a pit, and it is growing in a one gallon pot for the time being. Its about 2 months old, and ive noticed that the leaves are developing a crispy edge that deteriorates and tries to take over the leaves. The plant is growing in Miracle Grow Organic Gardening Soil...
    I water it as the soil dries out, and am pretty darn sure that its getting plenty of water. My guess is that it might be wind related. My house here in hawaii gets a constant 5-15mph wind... all day every day. I do try to wet down the leaves when i water, but i dont know if thats helping. When i examine the leaves, it does not appear that there is a pest involved... I do see slightly raised patches that are a bit rough...without a microscope i cant really tell if its a fungus, but i dont think so. anyway, any advice is very appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. mgraber

mgraber Member

I am also having this crispy edge problem, whcih is new and started a couple of months ago. My tree is about 9 years old, grown from a pit and is 8 or nine feet tall. I have just repotted it andit is looking MUCH happier overall, but still has numerous crispy edged leaves. Initially I assumed It was scorched from being too near a window and too dry, but the leaves look exactly like those I've seen on this and other blogs. Perhaps it's a fugus? We had late tomato blight fo thei first time this year and I could easily have carried it indoors; so perhaps it is that. in which case I will be quite sad, but willing to start over - this was a very easy plant, just slow.

3. Vina1

Vina1 Member

Hi there,
    My roses'leaves looked like your avocado's leaves. I think when i accidentally wet the leaves, the sun scorched the wet spots the next day. When that happened I trimmed those leaves off the branch and carefully water only at the base of the root. I hope this help (-: