South Texas wild grass

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Johnts71, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Johnts71

Johnts71 Active Member

Done a little research on my own and come to the conclusion that what I have in my backyard is "coastal bermuda" grass. I never thought of posting a picture to positively identify this grass. Being super hot the past week with highs hitting over 100 almost every day now,I notice this grass never turns yellow and "hay" like as my front yard has. WHen I moved in I got bermuda in the front and nothing in the back. I let this wild grass grow in the back and it filled up my entire backyard. I have to mow it every week unlike the rest of my yard which I havent touched in 3 weeks. In the picture I was wondering of those helicopter looking things have seeds on them or is that just some kinda pollen?

anyways some of this wild grass is starting to pop up on the sides and front yard! I hoping this will overtake my crappy grass that has gone dormant cause of the heat.

Attached Files:

2. BJellyfish

BJellyfish Member

Digitaria ?

3. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

It does resemble Coastal Bermudagrass.

4. Johnts71

Johnts71 Active Member

I think so too...with 5 days of 100+ here in SA saltcedar, I dont know why they dont sell this instead of any other grasses? I barely water this and it stays green and its mowed once a week.

5. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

It won't grow well in shaded areas and is highly invasive in flower beds and boarders.
    I spray Roundup or fluazifop-P on any and all Bermudagrass on my property.
    I is illegal in some states to plant Bermudagrass because of it's invasive tendencies.