root rot, oh no!! please help

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by thewad88, Nov 18, 2008.

1. thewad88

thewad88 Active Member

so it seems that a few of my plants have the beginning stages of root rot. my coffee plant has some spots on the leaves, and another one has browning on the tips.

once this process starts what can i do to stop it. should i stop watering those plants until the soil becomes very dry?

i have been watering about once every 2 weeks, as it is winter now, but maybe that is still to much??

any help please...

Nik

2. frauleinlayla

frauleinlayla Active Member

I would be very interested to hear the answer to this, too.... I have a plant that is sadly beyond the initial stage, but I'd love to hear advice on what to do once you see the first signs!

3. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

If rot has already set in, it's probably too too late to do anything. If the rot just started which would be hard to notice until it's too far gone, you might be able to save it buy cutting out any roots that have rotted, leaving only the healthy ones. If the stem, or stems are not yet effected by rot, you might be able to re-root the top of the plant like a cutting, or take cuttings from any side shoots, depending on the plant.
    For instance, peace lilies are pretty easy to save when they have root-rot by cutting off ALL the roots and re-rooting the entire plant into a smaller pot.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  4. iammotown

iammotown Member

i have 3 kona plants and they had some browming tips when i first got them. but it was not on the new growth which led me to believe it was from air contact with the roots. maybe i didnt pot them fast enough. anyway, 3 weeks ago i took all 3 out of the pots and added mycorrhizae fungi to the roots and soil. 1 week later i had some more browning and i assume its from the air again because i checked the roots while they were exposed they were healthy. also i water mine about once a week. i mean halfway immersed in the tub with fish tank water and then i let them drain for about 2 hours. even with a little brown they look pretty healthy. maybe you need to water more? or maybe the soil isn't draining well and they're sitting in soggy soil?