Need help identifying tree with white flowers

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by alisonclarke, Jun 24, 2008.

1. alisonclarke

alisonclarke Member

Saw this tree while out on a walk tonight & fell in love with it but have no idea what it is. The tree was about 15 feet tall & had rounded leaves. The flowers were singles spread all over the tree. They are somewhat waxy & have a nubby green centre. I really don't think it was a white flowering dogwood, I believe those flowers are smaller & in clusters (I could be wrong). The tree had a single, substantial trunk, probably about 1.5 feet in diameter. The 'petals' on the flower have a slight pink tinge on the edges but overall are snowy white. I will try to get out & take a photo of the entire tree tomorrow. The blooms didn't have any scent. I live in Southwestern Ontario.

Can anyone help me identify this tree?

Attached Files:

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Cornus kousa i believe.

HTH
    Chris

3. alisonclarke

alisonclarke Member

Just looking through some other posts & it looks to be that way. Thanks for posting so quickly here! Looking forward to putting one of these in front of my house!

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Pointed bracts and comparatively late blooming season distinctive. Only similar one among those seen with any frequency in western cultivation is C. capitata - mostly a tender evergreen species (the two are linked by at least one intermediate form, C. capitata angustata syn. C. kousa angustata).

5. smivies

smivies Active Member

Don't plant it too close to the house (ie. a foundation planting) as they do grow to be small trees and will look best where they can grow symetrically.

Seems to be a common mistake in this region where you see Smoke bush, Japanese maples, and various others, planted 2' away from the house.