Why 'plant blindness' matters — and what you can do about it

Discussion in 'Plants: In the News' started by Junglekeeper, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Georgia Strait and wcutler like this.
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I have two former realtors in the family and have had a realtor out to look at my place, that one of them recommended. (In case I might need/want to sell in a few years) The first thing they said after they got out of the car was "You have to get rid of these shrubs!" - there is clearly a pervasive idea that a nice setting for a house is an unbroken lawn with a few tiny shrubs here and there around the structure like chicks attending a hen. Nothing above knee high, and darn little of that - certainly no trees - the two family members have consistently cut down any and all trees that came with places they have bought themselves in later years. (One of them even got a neighboring property owner to remove a greenbelt between their two houses at one point, probably all of it on the neighbor's land). So within a real property oriented mindset at work inside the contemporary culture here it's not just mere failure to see trees (the most ecologically and horticulturally significant floristic element in the occupied landscape), it's seeing them as an inherently detrimental presence, one calling therefore for automatic and repeated elimination.

I've discussed the fact with one of them that I have developed a garden here, a plant collection. The reply was "Most people don't want plants, they want neat!". This apparently general situation must be why there has been a local realtor, associated with a garden plant appreciation and protection membership organization advertising specifically that she helps sell gardened properties.

Last edited: May 26, 2019