Zucchini Plant Boom or Bust?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by MADinfant, Jun 8, 2009.

1. MADinfant

MADinfant Member

This year I started several plants from seeds indoors and transplanted them outdoors as seedlings. One of my best and most successful plants, a zucchini plant, seems to have taken a turn over the last couple of days. This plant seemed to be my strongest, but once it started to produce vegetables, the leaves have drooped to the point of wilting. The zucchinis are growing though. Has the plant just diverted its energy from the leaves to the vegetables?

Thanks for anyone who cares to comment.

2. JanR

JanR Active Member

My plants do not normally droop once they start producing zucchini. Maybe there is something wrong. Are you sure that they are getting enough water?

3. MADinfant

MADinfant Member

OK, today I am convinced there is something wrong. There appears to be some type of black fungus on one of the zucchinis. Additionally, this plant for the last couple of weeks has been covered with ants. I did not think they would be a problem because the plant was doing so well. What do I do?

Water should be fine, we have gotten plenty of rain lately.

Thanks!

4. JanR

JanR Active Member

Can you post some photos?

5. MADinfant

MADinfant Member

This plant, five days ago, was one of my strongest plants. I took these pictures right before I removed the two zucchini vegetables produced in the last three days. One had a black fungus like substance on it, and the other appeared healthy. On their removal, the one zucchini with the fungus was entirely rotten/mushy and the other was only half like this. I saw early today what I would guess is a cut worm (I'm new to this so this could be wrong). It looked like a black fuzzy caterpillar. I applied some 7 spray hoping that this plant has just been weakened by insects. Could this be some sort of plant disease? All other plants are doing extremely well, but I am having insect problems on cabbage and bean plants.

Thanks for you help and advice.

Attached Files:

6. JanR

JanR Active Member

I really don't know what the problem would be. I would guess some disease of some sort. I don't think bugs would effect the whole plant like that. Not all at once anyway. How are your other plants doing?

7. MADinfant

MADinfant Member

All others seem to be thriving. We will see I guess. It is looking like it might be making a slight comeback after I sprayed, but I am still worried about what that black substance on the vegetable might be. Personally, I think that bugs may have weakened the plant to where some disease may have onset.

Thanks