Yukon Gold Potatoes

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Karen86322, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Karen86322

Karen86322 Member

I bought some "seed" potatoes from Henry Fields, Inc or from Gurney's (or both) can't remember because I bought them twice. I planted them in sandy "river sand" soil with mulch, straw and river sand mixed about 2 weeks ago. I planted Jeruselem Artichokes the same day and they have already sprouted....but no potatoes yet? Does anyone know how long it takes for these things to sprout? I hate digging down to see if I can find out if one is starting to sprout, but guess I could do that.

How much water do these need? I have kept the soil moist, but not saturated.

Please help.

Thanks,
    Karen

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Karen, did the seed potatoes have sprouted "eyes" on them?? Here, spuds go from chits (small pieces with single sprouted eyes) to visible sprouts in about 3 weeks. However, I'm from the original native range of S. tuberosum var. andigena, highland potatoes, which is what I grow, and not S. tuberosum proper, (common potatoes) which is what Yukon Golds are. Your conditions are different than mine (for starters, I live at 2,800 meters above sea level, or about 10,000 feet. I also suspect that my biome is a touch wetter than yours, but I may be wrong.)

Moist but not saturated is a good idea, but remember that potatoes come from a fairly dry region originally. You might want to check to see if the chits are rotting down there; when they're young they can damp off quite easily. You've got them in soil that approximates their native land, though.

Best of luck!

3. Karen86322

Karen86322 Member

Thank you so much for your reply. I actually saw one pototo plant sprouting today!!!! I bought them from Gurney or Henry Fields or Burgess, don't remember which one I bought the seed potato from, but when they arrived, they were pre-cut, were covered with a white substance and were dry (one batch was somewhat shriveled). I could not see any eyes or sprouts starting up on either batch, but the instructions said to get them into the soil asap and that is what I did. I have tried not to "soak" them in the ground so they shouldn't rot, however, the garden is automatically watered and that particular patch in the garden doesn't get a whole bunch of water. I have tried to plant my various "crops" in areas that are conducive to their growing particulars, including watering needs.

This has really been fun! It is only my second year for gardening but I'm having a blast watching things grow and made a profit at the Farmer's Market in Camp Verde last year of $1800 on produce. I really wanted to grow the potatoes because I also planted Leeks (and they've come up too!) and I give away recipes when I sell my produce (Mama Bear's special treat for free)....one of my recipes this year will be creamed potato-leek soup....it's yummy! Plus, no one at the Farmer's Market had Leeks or Potatoes last year and I like to have "unique" veggies organically grown for my customers.

I can't wait to see my red, purple, yellow and orange carrots on display too, plus vine peaches, striped beets, Detroit beets, huckleberries, strawberries, elephant garlic, horseraddish, scallions, green onions, red, yellow and white onions, pear tomatoes, yellow cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, Globe artichokes, Jeruselm artichokes, various peppers, sugar snap peas, chinese peas, rhubarb, foot long Chinese cucumbers, yard long green beans, luffa sponges and SQUARE Crimson watermelons! It's not your "typical" garden but a gourmet cook's delight!

Again, thanks for your help.

Mamabear (Karen)

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

You're more than welcome. Next year, maybe try Cape Gooseberries (which are called Uvillas here) as well!