winterizing my fig tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by MrsB, Nov 10, 2008.

1. MrsB

MrsB Member

I inherited a fig tree from a friend (so I have no idea what kind it is). It was a sapling from one of two mature trees which she has in her backyard here in Abbotsford BC (zone 8?). She didn't think I needed to do anything to protect it this winter but I'd like to be sure.
    It is planted in a fairly exposed area (so that it could get sun in the summer) and is only 1.5 feet tall (one skinny main trunk and about 5 branches).
    I've read that you can wrap them in burlap and put a bucket upside down to protect them from hard frosts.
    Is this true for this region and this type/age of tree?
    any winterizing advice?
    -Mrs. B

2. Weedbender

Weedbender Active Member 10 Years

It won't hurt to give it some protection the first couple years. After that it should be fine in zone 8, if the mother tree came from nearby and needs no protection. I'm in zone 7 and I build a wire cage filled with dry leaves and slip a trash bag over mine. Burlap and a garbage can should be fine also. Just be sure to remove the can if the weather turns warm and sunny or it may cook : )

3. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

On young fig trees, I recommend wrapping the trunk with pipe insulation (the gray foam kind works well) and making sure the root system is well mulched. My older tree gets no protection at all, and has never suffered more than minor tip damage. Two winters ago, I did hear of several people losing young unprotected figs, but most established figs did fine, even though our harshest weather came before everything was full dormant.

4. MrsB

MrsB Member

thanks everyone for your input.
    I will use your suggestions to protect the tree while it's young!