wilting lavatera

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by grdnstff, Jun 17, 2007.

1. grdnstff

grdnstff Active Member 10 Years

hello .. i'm feeling a bit of concern for a lavatera, which initially seemed to be wilting with the heat .. it's planted in a fairly sunny place, has been doing very well and has lots of flower buds, but in the last week or so started wilting big time .. i thought it might perk up in the cool of the evenings, but not so .. i'm not sure what's going on with it, but it's looking pretty sad .. does anyone have any suggestions as to why this might be occurring? ..

thanks

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

One variety planted in Island County, WA for perhaps several years now keeps doing that also, from the first summer. When watered, it perks up and then stays good for awhile. Didn't freeze in last winter, that killed some other kinds of plants on the property, and hasn't yet deteriorated in the typical way after rather brief span either - so it has been better than usual except for the darned wilting. Point being it doesn't act diseased, without testing for pathogens on roots or identifying some other cause it just seems to be a thirsty plant.

3. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

...which would suggest it should be planted in an area where the soil retains moisture.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

No other plants around them have the problem.

5. grdnstff

this one has been watered well, and mulched, but i do wonder about it being planted in as much sun as it gets .. that being said, i've seen others in full sun doing beautifully .. so many mysteries!

6. grdnstff

the other thing about this plant is that although the top of it is wilting, there is new growth, fresh and green and strong, coming from the base ... ??? ..