Which flowering tree to plant?

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by jacklyns, Apr 21, 2009.

1. jacklyns

jacklyns Member

I would like to buy a flowering tree for Mothers Day to plant in a very large back yard with partial sun and partial shade. I know absolutely nothing about horticulture and wouldn't know where to begin researching. Luckily my mom would know what to do with the tree if I bought her one.

I'm looking for something pretty like a cherry or dogwood tree to fill a place where a cherry tree used to be. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jacklyns

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The greatest variety can be found in flowering crabapples. Disease-resistant kinds also tougher than many other types. Kousa dogwoods are popular but like a moist summer.

3. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

I would recommend a Paulownia tomentosa... magnificent flowers, and foliage, and winter interest from the fall buds... downside is dense shade under it...

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

...and abundant litter, coarse texture, winter dieback when young... not of similar character to dogwoods or flowering cherries at all.

I have three species of Paulownia in my garden, so it's not that I don't also find some appeal in them myself. The most arresting feature is the flowering effect, best viewed from above as the flowers disappear against the sky.